top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filing in about six months; I am worried about getting sued and keeping my house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing in about six months; I am worried about getting sued and keeping my house

My anxiety is kicking in and I am really starting to worry. I stopped paying my unsecured debts two months ago and it is now hitting my credit reports. I can’t file until mid-November and I am starting to panic that I am going to be sued. That, and my home value keeps creeping up so I am afraid that the trustee will force me to sell my home.

Is there a realistic timeline when it comes to creditors filing suit? If someone filed suit next month, I know that they need to serve me and that I have 21/28 days to file an answer. Then, I have another month or so before anything really happens. If they get a judgment, I believe they have 21/28 days before it is final and can begin garnishing my bank account or payroll. So, that gets me about four months, which isn’t enough time.

As for my house, I currently owe $160K. I paid $171K for it two years ago. Based on comparable home sales within the last few months, my house would most likely sell for around $200-$210K. The housing market in my city and neighborhood is on fire. There is almost no inventory, lots of cash buyers and houses are going for way more than asking price. Because of this and low mortgage rates, home values are expected to continue increasing. When I initially talked with my attorney a couple months ago, he said not to worry and that the trustee doesn’t want my house. I am not so sure about that.

I can’t file until November for two reasons: 1) In November, 2019, I took an early withdrawal from my 401k to pay my boyfriend’s divorce property settlement to his exwife so that he and his kids didn’t lose their home. So, if I wait until November, 2021 to file, I can get past the two-year disclosure period on the paperwork; and 2) My income has been declining since March, 2020 and by then, my income will be under median so I will have no means test issues.

I am a planner and proactive by nature. The unknown that will come in the next 6-9 months is causing me so much anxiety and my mind has been racing. I welcome any input on these two issues that are stressing me out so much.

There is really no way to tell when or even if any particular creditor will sue, with only a couple of exceptions. American Express and Best Buy seem to be quite aggressive. Other than that there is absolutely no way to tell if a creditor will sue you or not, or how quickly they will do so. Some of this has to do with the statute of limitations -- for your State -- or even what is shown in a LexisNexis asset report.

I also don't know any lawsuit timelines for Michigan. Fact is, I don't even know them for Florida. There are ways to answer any lawsuit and potentially drag out the process a bit. I am no expert on that, either.

I hope someone else will chime in on how to respond to creditor lawsuits and maybe help you there. But unless and until there is some movement from a creditor, it's anyone's guess. If you forced me to guess, then I would say that most creditors would wait until 180 days elapsed (6 months) before pursuing a lawsuit.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X