Always Shop Around for An Attorney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always Shop Around for An Attorney

When I decided to file for chapter 7 I hired the first attorney I spoke with (very big mistake), he had outstanding online reviews and seemed reputable.

It took me 3 months to pay him in full. After the last payment (strange) this attorney called me and said chapter 7 would not be possible and I would have to do a chapter 13. I knew from my limited knowledge and research that something was not right, we went back and forth, things got a little heated, and he basically said if I could find a better lawyer then he would refund me all my money. I agreed, and we parted ways.

This time I talked to four different attorneys (all agreeing that chapter 7 was possible). I finally hired the one who I felt most comfortable with. I gave him all the documents he requested, we filed, had the 341 meeting and I sit here today holding my letter of discharge.

If I didn’t do my research beforehand and believed the first attorney I would be done. I really don’t know what I would have done. I would have lost everything.

What I’m trying to say is shop around, most bankrupt attorneys give free consultations, don’t hire the first one you speak to, that was my biggest mistake and it could have cost me everything.

I still wonder why the first attorney was so adamant about chapter 7 not being possible? Was he not knowledgeable? Like I said he had phenomenal online reviews. Was he trying to make money by pointing me toward a chapter 13? I’m in NJ if that matters.

Thanks for reading.

A few comments:
    • Congratulations on the discharge!
    • I totally agree, shopping for an attorney is well worth the effort.
    • Having been through a Chapter 13 myself, why are you thinking you would have "lost everything" if you'd gone that route versus Chapter 7?
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Originally posted by shipo View Post
      A few comments:
      • Congratulations on the discharge!
      • I totally agree, shopping for an attorney is well worth the effort.
      • Having been through a Chapter 13 myself, why are you thinking you would have "lost everything" if you'd gone that route versus Chapter 7?
      I really had nothing left mentally and physically, it's a long story. I am just so grateful for this second chance.
      Last edited by scott456; 06-15-2021, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I agree to shop around. Our first attorney was similar to yours, but told us we wouldn't qualify for a BK and pushed up towards debt consolidation (if that is the right term). In retrospect I figure that would have made the attorney more money and put us in a pickle since he would try to negotiate with the creditors and not creditors want to negotiate. Plus you pay taxes on anything they forgive. I don't think he was in our best interest at all. We are in BK 13 because we did qualify for that.
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Originally posted by Carmella View Post
          I agree to shop around. Our first attorney was similar to yours, but told us we wouldn't qualify for a BK and pushed up towards debt consolidation (if that is the right term). In retrospect I figure that would have made the attorney more money and put us in a pickle since he would try to negotiate with the creditors and not creditors want to negotiate. Plus you pay taxes on anything they forgive. I don't think he was in our best interest at all. We are in BK 13 because we did qualify for that.
          i would never do a debt consolidation. for all of the reasons you said. by the time your done giving them 100's of dollars over a year per say you could be out of a BK and have a better score in that time also...

Comment

i shopped for an attorney i didn't hire the first one

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X