Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What steps to notify credit bureaus after discharge?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dwiscb
    started a topic What steps to notify credit bureaus after discharge?

What steps to notify credit bureaus after discharge?

My chapter 7 discharge was last month (in Wisconsin if that matters). The law firm that helped me is supposed to set clients up with a couple credit building services for free (Rocket Dog Reports for fixing/monitoring credit reports, and 720creditscore.com). After waiting I just contacted them and they said they'll be enrolling clients within the next few weeks for these services but I want to get this taken care of as soon as possible, especially since I'm applying for jobs (tech sector) and I don't know how prevalent credit/background checks are.

I was hoping this Rocket Dog service (supposedly normally $99) would just take care of it for me but they're really dragging their feet in setting me up with it, and it's kind of sketchy that I can't find a single reference to this service/company anywhere on the internet except for the law firm's website and initial consultation materials.

Should I be getting my annual free credit reports right now, or not bother with that yet and just report my bankruptcy to the credit bureaus and then get my free credit reports afterwards to make sure they're updated correctly?

• bcohen
    replied
    I did not use an attorney, and I certainly would not have wasted money on a "credit rebuilding" service. The discharge will automatically hit your credit reports within a few weeks, and by then all of your debts which were included in the bankruptcy should either be deleted or updated to show $0 balance owed and "account included in Chapter 7 bankruptcy". Any derogatory payment history, such as ongoing "charge-off" status will often be deleted as well.

Leave a comment:

• Nodebtrenton
    replied
    The credit bureaus for me discovered my discharge within a couple days of the event. They are called public records for a reason. You can check your reports from credit karma for free once a week. So you should be good to go now. Good luck!!

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X