Chapter 7 discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 discharge

Hi, I have a few questions I hope you all can answer for me.

1. I received my discharge notice. Am I suppose to receive a closure letter? It’s been 3 months after receiving the discharge notice.

2. Can I apply for a new CC/secured card now or do I need to wait to receive closure letter?

3. I have a car loan do I need to wait to receive closure letter before paying this off?
    Last edited by Johnsmith123; 07-29-2021, 06:01 AM.

Welcome to BKForum!

The court usually doesn't send out a notice that your case was actually closed. It's not an order of the court, but simply administrative. If you filed Pro Se, then you should be looking in PACER at least once a week for any updates. If you search your case on PACER, the first result screen will show your case status at the top. You should see "Debtor discharged" with a date. When the case is closed, there will be a "Date terminated" date as well.

Closing is an administrative process and is very different from the discharge. If you are an asset case, then the closing of the case could take weeks, months, or even years. The close depends on the Chapter 7 Trustee and what they need to do to close down the bankruptcy estate.

If you are a no asset case, then the close usually happens pretty quickly after the discharge.

I understand the desire to rebuild your credit profile, but you need to first understand the status of your case and then you can start the rebuilding process. It usually takes at least 72 hours before the credit bureaus are updated with the discharge.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Looks like my case was closed 3 days after discharge. I was under the impression I was suppose to get another letter..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X