Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice wanted: BK due to medical debt

Hi everyone, was hoping if you all could chime in with some advice,

I was recently admitted to the emergency room, uninsured. Good thing is, I'm alright. Bad thing is, I have a $120,000 bill.

I do not have the money, so my plan is this:

a.) Negotiate with the hospital. I've done this and the best I could do is 20% off. I still dont have that kind of money.
    b.) Apply for financial aid through the hospital - in the process, we will see what happens.
    c.) Wait for it to go into 3rd party collections and then negotiate from there.
    d.) Chapter 7 BK (last resort)

Relevant facts: I make under the median household income in WI ($104k/year). I do have about $100k in equity in my house, but am under the impression that its exempt if me and my wife file together. I have no other significant items of value (or debt for that matter).

Fwiw, this would be my second time filing chapter 7. I last did it in early 2014. Ugh.

This is a really crappy situation, anyone see any problems with my plan or have advice?

The most obvious fly in the ointment I see is you cannot refile for a Chapter 7 until 8 years have elapsed since your previous Chapter 7 filing date.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Yes, I filed in March of 2014. This medical stuff just happened in the last couple weeks, so if all other options are exhausted, I'd be filling chap 7 in early 2022.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X