Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dismissing Ch13, going into Ch7

Filed Ch13 December 2019, 100% repayment

After making 19 on-time payments to Trustee, my husband lost his job.

We contacted our attorney who worked with the Trustee to get us 2 months' reprieve on payments.

In the meantime our income for the previous 6 months has dropped below state median, so we now qualify for Ch7 without going through the means test.

The attorney advised us the rules that were in place at the time of initial filing exempt $100k of home equity, and due to the crazy home prices around here (Southern California) we now have approximately $390k equity. For this reason she has recommended dismissing the Ch13 and re-filing as a new Ch7 to take advantage of the now much more generous homestead exemption. The current homestead exemption in our county is $487k!

Our attorney told us if my husband gets a new job after filing for Ch7 that it doesn't count against our petition and won't be used by the Trustee as a reason to dismiss. She said it takes into account what is actually on the date of filing, and not what comes afterward. I am a tiny bit concerned about this but hopefully my husband will find a fabulous new job at the right time so it doesn't mess up our BK filing.

She told us it will probably take a few days up to two weeks for our request to dismiss the Ch13 to works its way through the courts to be signed by the judge, and we can then file Ch7 immediately afterward.

Wish us luck!

I am in a very similar situation. I wonder if anyone here can speak to if doing this puts two bankruptcy notations on your credit report. I am at the beginning of this change in plans. I wish you the best and hope this works out perfectly for you. Hopefully you get a fresh start soon.

Comment

A specific bankruptcy will stay on your credit report for the length of time for that type of bankruptcy. A Chapter 7 will stay for 10 years, and a Chapter 13 will stay for 7 years.

If you convert from one chapter to the other, then the original date is used, but the Chapter under which you receive your discharge will be controlling. For example, file a Chapter 7, convert to a Chapter 13, and receive your discharge under Chapter 13, then the bankruptcy will fall off 7 years form the date your filed the original case (the Chapter 7). Do the reverse for a Chapter 13 converted to a Chapter 7... it would fall off 10 years from the date of the Chapter 13. Conversions are special in that they don't create a new case number.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Here is my update.

Monday we filed a motion to dismiss the 13

Wednesday evening I got an email from NDC letting me know my 13 was dismissed.

Today (Thurs) we had a Zoom meeting with our attorney to gather all info so she can prepare the petition.

We plan to file the 7 in one week, next Thurs 10/07/21.

In waiting until next week we will have cleared the mortgage payment, and the attorney hinted strongly that we are more likely to get the “good” Trustee assigned to our case.

Comment

That is good news JellyBeany. I hope it all goes smoothly for you, I'll cross my fingers you get the good trustee!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X