Paying off a discharged loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying off a discharged loan

I am wondering if this will cause problems.

I have a credit union account which had a small checking overdraft account which was included in the Chapter 7 filing. I believe the amount was under $200 but no longer have access to the accounts to confirm.

Had I realized it, the account could have been easily paid off months before the Chapter 7 filing. Likewise, the debt has not been reaffirmed on the advice of my attorney who thinks I should save the $200 and open accounts at some other bank (I suspect other credit unions may not entertain me as a customer).

The 341 meeting is complete and I am hopeful that discharge and closing should occur in a timely manner.

Would I still have options for willingly repaying this debt? Will it invalidate my Chapter 7 filing in some way or cause other debtors to call foul? While I understand the pure dollars and cents advice of my lawyer, and will likely ask him the same question upon discharge, I have had these accounts for decades and would like to retain them if possible.

I am fine with not paying it, but for the convenience of the accounts impacted by this filing, it would be worth it to pay them off.

Can I choose to pay it off without repercussions after discharge?

Should I ask the credit union for a settlement of some kind?

Any advice is appreciated.

Once discharged, you can pay the balance with no issues.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

There is nothing that stops a debtor from paying back any creditor after discharge. For such a small amount, to keep in the good graces of the credit union, and to preserve the relationship, I would personally pay them back.

I would not do a settlement should you choose to keep your relationship with the CU. They would still hold the "loss" against you.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you both for your help. This is precisely what I was hoping to hear.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X