How long case-closed after discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long case-closed after discharge?

How long does it take to close a case after discharge?

Thanks.

It can be anywhere from immediate (auto-close after discharge), to years. It depends on whether or not your case is an asset case. If you are a no-asset case, then it should come relatively quickly, but it's not guaranteed to be immediate after discharge. It could be anything from a day to several days. If you are an asset case, then time is very hard to predict because the closing is based on the Trustee administrating the case which could include liquidation, litigation, requests for claims, and the payment of claims.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      It can be anywhere from immediate (auto-close after discharge), to years. It depends on whether or not your case is an asset case. If you are a no-asset case, then it should come relatively quickly, but it's not guaranteed to be immediate after discharge. It could be anything from a day to several days. If you are an asset case, then time is very hard to predict because the closing is based on the Trustee administrating the case which could include liquidation, litigation, requests for claims, and the payment of claims.
      Thanks. I am a no-asset case. This has been a stressful process and I'm just ready for it to be over with and have peace of mind. Even though I got discharged already I am still having anxiety and I cannot wait for it to be closed already.

Comment

I would not worry about the close. The close is an "administrative" process. The discharge is the prize.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I would not worry about the close. The close is an "administrative" process. The discharge is the prize.
          Last question, when I look at my 'status' on pacer. It says case closed but its under 'pending' status. Does that mean the closing is pending or is that just some sort of administrative online page? I've seen other people post the same thing with 200+ days on it. Thanks again sir. Here are the screenshots:

[removed for privacy]
          Last edited by justbroke; 10-10-2021, 07:24 AM. Reason: moderator removed images

Comment

I tell everyone this. Never look at the statuses screen. Mine says that my discharge has been pending over 1,500 days. That's for the Clerk's office and they don't always keep that updated.

If you look at the top of your second image, it reads "Date terminated" and that's the closing. Your case was closed on 10/8/2021, which was 3 days after your discharge. You are 100% completely done.

Comment

I tell everyone this. Never look at the statuses screen. Mine says that my discharge has been pending over 1,500 days. That's for the Clerk's office and they don't always keep that updated.

If you look at the top of your second image, it reads "Date terminated" and that's the closing. Your case was closed on 10/8/2021, which was 3 days after your discharge. You are 100% completely done.
              Thank you sir. You're way better than a bankruptcy lawyer lol.

Comment

You are welcome. Give it a few business days to settle down and the credit bureaus to get the update from the Bankruptcy Noticing Center (BNC). Your credit reports will update but you may not receive an alert (if you are subscribe to bureau alerts). Your score may go up, but not everyone's does once the discharge and close are reported.

Best of luck to you and do well with that fresh start.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X