Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATT phones in bk

I included ATT in my ch 7 bankruptcy. I owed them for 2 phones and service. The phones had broke and I no longer have them.
    They keep emailing me bills saying I need to send them the phones.
    I am supposed to be discharged end of November. Should I call them and tell them it was in my bk or should I leave it? And will I get in trouble for not giving them back the phones?
    thanks!

You may want to talk to your lawyer about that. Back when I filed years ago, I had a cable account with Verizon and my bankruptcy cleared my backdue balance but I was still required to return the equipment because it was leased. It really depends on whether your phones were leased or purchase contract. Unfortunately, expect them to keep reselling that equipment debt to junk buyers who report it as collections even though it was discharged in bankruptcy. Just touch base with your lawyer to be sure it was included on your schedules. That way you can send a copy of that later to whatever credit bureau they report it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenniferinfl View Post
      It really depends on whether your phones were leased or purchase contract. Unfortunately, expect them to keep reselling that equipment debt to junk buyers who report it as collections even though it was discharged in bankruptcy.
      Whether the phones were "leased" or financed is really more of a marketing gimmick and accounting trick on the part of the provider. Most of these "lease" agreements are really a rent-to-own scheme, because the value of a used cellphone rapidly approaches zero after more than a few years have passed. If the phones were lost or stolen, or simply disposed of because they became inoperable, that does not change the characteristic of the debt for purposes of bankruptcy. The debt will still be discharged, and cannot legally be collected or reported to any credit bureaus after that.

I would still recommend contacting AT&T to inform them that the phones broke and you disposed of them. You can do that by calling their bankruptcy department, or better yet by sending a letter. They cannot come after you for money, nor can they demand that you turn over property which you no longer have.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X