Buying new sewing machine after filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying new sewing machine after filing?

I sew my clothes. We have paid the attorney the retainer and the actual filing will be in a week or so.

I have three sewing machine, one 47 year old Kenmore and two 12+ year old Brothers that can now be bought new for about $100. My last Brother is dying and now I'll have three non-functional sewing machines that are listed in the bankruptcy.

I need a new machine and am tired of dealing with the cheap ones that break when you look at them cross-eyed. Costco has a good Janome sewing machine for $499. Is that too much to spend after filing, but before my 341 hearing?

Thanks for your thoughts!

While I cannot comment on what you can and cannot do prior to your 341, I can comment on a new(er) machine for you. I personally have never sewed anything more complex than putting a button back on my utilities when I was in the Marine Corps back in the 1970s, however, my wife is a "Garmento" and has extensive experience with all manner of personal and professional sewing machines and routinely gives out advice to others when they are looking for a machine. In all but a few extreme cases, my wife recommends buying a used Bernina 730 or 830 machine; both of which can be had via Flea-Bay (and other sites of that ilk) for between $250 and $300. Not only will you spend less on a machine, it will most likely last many-MANY years longer than the current crop of moderately priced machines.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Thank you! I'll check out Flea-bay. I'm fine with an older machine. I was planning to bring my Kenmore in for service/tune-up, but I do need a backup. Thank your wife for her recommendation!

Comment

Interesting about the sewing machines. I realized a few days ago I had a goal for this year of getting a sewing machine I always wanted to make things like placemats, etc , not clothing. I have a basic sewing skill set. My problem was buying cheaper sewing machines that always broke. I do want to learn to hem pants because while we can afford to pay someone sometimes the hemming costs almost as much or more than the actual pants and it just seams wrong! Yes, I know a sewing machine costs more than paying someone to hem pants, but I did want it for other uses as well. My daughter and I both need pants hemmed otherwises have smaller selection of clothing.
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

I'm not a lawyer but I have read, and my lawyer specifically told me "once we file you can do whatever you want, going to las Vegas even if comped and free flights, will not look good"..lol

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X