Joint account holder with spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint account holder with spouse

If you want to file pro se and have an unsecured debt and a car loan with your spouse, can you simply file a reaffirmation agreement on those debts if you want to protect your non-filing spouse or would that be a no-no? All the rest are credit cards in my name that I foolishly used irresponsibly.
    Last edited by sscott4775; 12-03-2023, 07:25 PM. Reason: Additional details
    Filed Chapter 7, Pro Se: 12/23/2010
    341 Meeting: 01/26/2011
    Discharged: 03/29/2011

You don't need a reaffirmation agreement to protect a co-debtor. The co-debtor just become responsible for the debt. I don't know of any court that would allow you to sign a reaffirmation agreement on unsecured debt (period). In some jurisdictions you have to redeem, reaffirm, or surrender a vehicle. Again, since you have a co-debtor--who I assume is on the registration and is a co-owner of the vehicle--then the debt would just be theirs. Nothing should affect their credit under this scenario. The creditors have the co-debtor as responsible and the co-debtor should continue making payments during the pendency of the Chapter 7 (the period between filing and discharge).

At least, that's how I remember it working for me. I had a co-debtor on my unsecured debt and nothing happened to them at all.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I'd like to continue paying on the car payment and the personal loan, just declare bankruptcy on the other debts, so wouldn't I need a reaffirmation agreement to do that?

Thanks again!
      Filed Chapter 7, Pro Se: 12/23/2010
      341 Meeting: 01/26/2011
      Discharged: 03/29/2011

Comment

Unless the personal loan is through a credit union, has been cross-collateralized, and you haven't sought to get rid of the cross-collateralization, this can be problematic. No judge should ever allow a debtor to "reaffirm" an unsecured loan (such as a personal loan).

Since you are Pro Se you may need to obtain more detailed help from the Pro Se/Pro Bono clinic. If this personal loan is at a different bank then you would never reaffirm the personal loan unless it is a non-PMSI loan that is secure. Even then, you should rethink reaffirming such a loan. If none of this is making sense then I would definitely see if my court has a Pro Bono/Pro Se clinic.

There are potential issues with the specific bank, the type of bank (national, regional, or credit union), and even who may be listed first on the loan.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X