top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the law mean with the phrase "reasonable and necessary"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does the law mean with the phrase "reasonable and necessary"?

So, in my open Chapter 7 case (I was discharged but have a pending lawsuit and my case is therefore, still open), it indicates that future earnings are exempt in my state, for "reasonable and necessary" circumstances for the debtor. I lost nearly 2 years worth of income from my retaliation case vs my employer, which eventually lead to my chapter 7.

My question: what does the law mean with the phrase "reasonable and necessary"?

Also, are there state exemptions that would allow a person to keep most or all of their settlement money, in a chapter 7 open case, due to the future loss of income and the insolvent state I am still in?

Thank you for any feedback on this. I appreciate this website for all the great discussions and learning more about my rights as a debtor.

That term, "reasonable and necessary," would need to be defined in the statute or from a court. To which statute are you referencing?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hi JB. Thank you for your reply.

It was in reference to "loss of future earnings" in a pending lawsuit for a open Chapter 7 that was discharged, but still open. It mentions in the law that the "loss of future earnings" has to be reasonable and necessary. I think it was because I am insolvent and had to file for bankruptcy because of the unethical practices of my employer that I did not want to partake in, which created for a hostile work environment.

Comment

I wouldn't want to venture a guess without being able to point to something. I would normally look to the statute (or chapter of the law) to find the definition. Then look to caselaw to see how it was defined in prior cases.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X