top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if only one spouse files Chp 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if only one spouse files Chp 7?

Hi all, I'm in deep debt (debts that are in my name only) and am married. Chapter 7 may be my best solution for solving this issue, but my spouse has perfect credit and no debt and does not want to file. I know I can file individually and understand that as we live in a community property state all our income and assets will come into play. My question is to anyone who filed Chp 7 without their spouse - how does that affect the spouse's credit rating? I've gotten different answers from different attorneys and would love to hear from people who've been through this. My spouse has mentioned divorce or legal separation instead of having her credit ruined - that is how much she cares about it. Much thanks.

My wife filed Chapter 7 a year before my Chapter 13, I don't have any screen shots or other documentation, but if I recall correctly her Chapter 7 didn't impact my credit at all, even though a number of the debts were in both of our names. When I filed Chapter 13 the joint debts became elements of my bankruptcy because hers had long since been discharged.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X