Worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried

As of yesterday I finally filed my chptr 7 case, which we started in July! Not sure of how long the "norm" is but, that seemed like forever to me. My case was simple, Im single, owned a mobile home, not credit card debt but more medical than anything, I have no children. I was working at a local Pizza joint making a few more bucks than minimum wage. Which is the reason I filed to begin with I couldnt afford anything. So I need a whole life change to better everything, and late July that life change started I am temporary employeed at one of the car companies here in MI making alot more money, Ive moved back home with the folks, and Im doing alot better...So my question I guess would be what do you guys think would happen with my case? Im worried because they may put me in a chapter 13 since I make more money but I could get fired tommorow because I am only a TEMP..and then I do have a guarentee on my position at the pizza place once I am no longer a temp, and I will be back at square one with no money and not able to really pay back people.
    Any advice, word of thought anything to help my anxiety about this, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you all so much!

Originally posted by jaded View Post
    As of yesterday I finally filed my chptr 7 case, which we started in July! Not sure of how long the "norm" is but, that seemed like forever to me. My case was simple, Im single, owned a mobile home, not credit card debt but more medical than anything, I have no children. I was working at a local Pizza joint making a few more bucks than minimum wage. Which is the reason I filed to begin with I couldnt afford anything. So I need a whole life change to better everything, and late July that life change started I am temporary employeed at one of the car companies here in MI making alot more money, Ive moved back home with the folks, and Im doing alot better...So my question I guess would be what do you guys think would happen with my case? Im worried because they may put me in a chapter 13 since I make more money but I could get fired tommorow because I am only a TEMP..and then I do have a guarentee on my position at the pizza place once I am no longer a temp, and I will be back at square one with no money and not able to really pay back people.
    Any advice, word of thought anything to help my anxiety about this, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you all so much!
    You're on your bk journey now, jaded....just like you, all of us were nervous at the start.

Let's go through the worst case scenario you mentioned - the trustee wants to put you in a Ch 13. You have to show enough disposable income on the Means Test to have that happen. Disposable income is NOT as simple as income minus expenses, so don't make that mistake. You (or your lawyer if you used one) have to plug in your figures into the second part of the Means Test. And if your income is below the median for your state, then it's highly unlikely you can be pushed into a 13. Try to keep things in perspective as best you can. Keep asking questions - we'll do our best to explain things whenever we can.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Temporary

Hi, I wanted to file a chapter 7 - but because I make more than the Median Income, I have to go for a 13 (that is due to working twofull time jobs though). I'm filing in the state of VA, by the way. My lawyer said if I quit one job, I can go for a 7 (really really really thinking about it!). So what I'm trying to say is, if your income changes, you can have your plan modified, if it shows you fall below the state median, and you have no disposable income, than you could probably change to a 7. I'm not a lawyer by the way, just giving you an example how my case is going here in VA. It all depends on your disposable income, which varies from state to state, and different cases. Keep reading through this forum - plenty of good info will put you at ease!

Best of Luck, Catchmeifyoucan
      Last edited by CATCHMEIFYOUCAN; 09-28-2006, 12:31 AM. Reason: misspelling
      July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
      Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
      Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
      Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I think the key in your comments is "temporary job".

Even tho you have more money in your pocket now, there's no expectations for the future beyond the original contract date. You may or may not get to work longer. You may or may not get hired on by the contractor. You may finish this assignment for your Temp agency and not work again for a month or more. Too many "if's".
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Thank you all, you calmed my anxiety greatly! I just worry to much, and I cannot wait until this is all over and done with and I can really "start all over" again

Comment

I Hear That !

SAME HERE ! ! ! ! !

CATCHMEIFYOUCAN
            July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
            Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
            Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
            Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...