Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and I decided it was finally time to introduce myself. This is a great board.
    I have a question. My husband is very underemployed and has been looking for a different job. He has already made it to the second interterview for one position. My question is what happens if he gets offered the job before the 341 meeting? Our lawer mentioned that the trustee will ask if any increase in income is expected. Also I start a part time temporary job for christmas on Saturday so that we can afford christmas shopping. Will that probably be an issue?
    Last edited by JollyGG; 11-02-2006, 07:22 AM.
    Filed: 10/26/2006
    Discharged: 03/05/2007
    Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Starting a new job before your 341 is a slippery slope to climb. Anything disposable income over $100 could trigger a chapter 13. Are you filing with an attorney. Please ask his advice. You could explain to the trustee that the job is VERY temporary, but again thats a very dangerous thing to do. Any other opinions out there? Sorry to discourage you from making more money. It really does suck!! It may not come up, but it might.
    Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Our lawyer said that I could take the second seasonal job but to keep my hours as low as possible until the 341 was done. Because it is clear from our budget that I cannot buy a single present for my kids without some extra income. As for a new job for my husband we are hoping they take their time making a decision. The lawyer said that any new job is simply speculation until he formally accepts the job. I just hope that a) he gets it - we need the money, b) the job offer gives him time to wait until after the 341 to accept.
      The job situation is driving me insane. If my husband had a better job we wouldn't have to file. So we though many times about waiting to file and hope he finds something. But planning to pay things in the future is, in part, how we got where we are today. We decided that we need to plan our life on the realities of the here and now so we got things in motion.
      Filed: 10/26/2006
      Discharged: 03/05/2007
      Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

I agree with Cindy here,............ You're stepping into some slippery territory with both jobs. A lot depends on how close you were to the Median at the time you filed BK.

If you were way under, it might not make a difference one way or the other.

If you were close, and the new income could push you over, you might want to reconsider.

Another thing to consider,............. At this time of year, Income Tax Refunds are at the top of many Trustee's lists. Especially if you've gotten any substantial income tax refunds in the last couple of years. The Trustee may ask to see your Tax Returns next spring as they are allowed to take a prorated amount based on when you filed.

Trustees tape each 341 and are required by BK Law to keep those tapes for a period of 2 years. That could have you "testifying" at the 341, "I make $35K/yr." and the Trustee has you on tape saying that. Then your Tax Returns next spring show an income of $45K for the year. That could lead to some serious explaining on your part.
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X