jerks at Best Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jerks at Best Buy

Just thought I would warn everyone - I think I've seen similar postings before, but wanted to share what's happening.

In April 2005, I signed up for a Best Buy credit card to buy a laptop. Before we filed BK7, I had paid every payment on time from the date of purchase to July of this year. That's 15 payments of $50, or $750. Original purchase price of the computer was around $1000.

My attorney's paralegal called me today, and Best Buy's lawyer faxed them a security agreement I signed (one of those fine print things that got shoved under my nose in the store). They want the computer back, or they want me to pay for it!

Last fall, we had a huge lightning storm and the laptop's battery was destroyed. Turns out the nice warranty I purchased didn't cover "acts of God," so there was nothing to do but trash it. I could have purchased another battery I guess, but I didn't see the point; I wasn't too thrilled with the computer once I got it home anyway.

So now I sit in front of my NEW laptop, given to me by my dad, terrified of what is going to happen. I'm guessing they can't sue me for the money because I wasn't in collections when I filed BK, but I also don't think they are going to let this drop. I am so mad right now I could scream. I nearly paid them everything I owed, ignoring the insane interest they charged me, and even if I still had the computer it's not worth anything now - it's nearly 2 years old!

So, just a warning to all you BKers out there. If you have a Best Buy card, expect them to be jerks. I had actually asked my attorney about this before we filed, and he said it wasn't going to be a problem. Shows what he knows!
    Filed Chapter 7: 9/29/06
    341 Meeting: 11/01/06
    Last Day for Objections: 1/01/07
    Discharged and closed: 1/03/07

Acutally, your attorney is right, it won't be a problem.

Best Buy tends to be blow hards in BK, but when push comes to shove, they typically don't do anything. All they can do is take back your "broken laptop" any remaining money you owe them is discharged in your BK. They push really hard to get a reaffirmation agreement and make limited threats about repo'ing the property etc, but if you hold your ground, nothing happens. So just hold your ground, don't pay them anything, and list them in your BK.

Nothing is going to come of it, and the only down side to you is they make you give back a broken laptop.

Comment

But how can I give back something I don't have any more? I don't tend to leave useless computers hanging around the house - we threw it out when we moved. THAT's what I'm scared of.
      Filed Chapter 7: 9/29/06
      341 Meeting: 11/01/06
      Last Day for Objections: 1/01/07
      Discharged and closed: 1/03/07

Comment

I still wouldn't worry about it. I knew a guy who bought a 55" HD TV as a gift for someone else, he declared BK about a year later, Best Buy was getting uppity, he didn't budge, and in the end, nothing happend. Best Buy faded away.

The agency that works for Best Buy in these maters only goal is to get reaffirmation agreements or get payment, they are not in the buiness of repoing consumer goods because there really is no market to resell them.

Discuss it with your attorney, but in the end, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.

Comment

Originally posted by brainless twit View Post
          But how can I give back something I don't have any more? I don't tend to leave useless computers hanging around the house - we threw it out when we moved. THAT's what I'm scared of.
          Best Buy is just trying to scare you into paying for what's left of the laptop loan. They don't want the laptop - the laptop is only leverage to scare you (and it worked) - they really just want your cash. As long as you listed Best Buy on your creditors list, you're fine. There's nothing to repossess if the asset no longer exists, and the money you still owed them was wiped out in the bk. They are SOL. Relax....put your feet up....enjoy the day.
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Here's another "don't worry about it" comment.

Just tell them that you don't have the laptop anymore since it was destroyed by an "act of god" that they didn't cover under their warranty. What are they going to do? They CANT sue you, the debt was discharged. Say they COULD sue you... they could only sue you for the value of the laptop, not any interest or remaining balance... a 2 year old laptop that was only $1000 new? MAYBE $200 value. just FILING a law suit will cost them more than that.

Don't worry about it, tell them to get lost as you don't have the laptop anymore.
            Filed Ch. 7 Pro-Se: 10/12/06
            341: 11/6/06 (went AMAZINGLY well!)
            Discharge: 1/12/07
            Closed:1/19/07

Comment

Ditto...

.....I had a best buy charge account after I got divorced, before I went through that "crisis" stage where you lose your mind...and I bought myself the Maytag Neptune Washer/Dryer...plus somehow, my bf charged up a storm and I ended up with a $5K debt to BB...They started calling me and I told them that my boyfriend & I had an addiction problem and I would try to pay them when I could...I think that went on for a year...then I moved again and before they found me...five years from the time I stopped paying, I filed bk...so, yeah, don't let 'em scare you!
              Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
              Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Best Buy tried really hard to make me sign a reaffirmation agreement. We told our attorney to advise Best Buy to list all of the items and we would give them back. Nothing happend. Now during this time, we had to convert to a chapter 13. Stupid Best Buy did not even file a proof of claim, so now they have nothing.
                sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X