Overseas Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overseas Bankruptcy

I am a citizen of Cina and I sadly found out that I have to file BK after divorcing with my wife, who took as much as she could, leaving only debt under my name. I do not have a job and I can not stay here forever as immgration officers will hunt me down well before creditors.

I plan to go back to China and never return to this country, my questions is: Shall I file BK at first place? And if the asnwer is Yes, do I qualify for chapeter 7 filling? I do not have anything left for me, except clothes

I would think you could just leave and have nothing to worry about, that is if you never plan to come back and use credit here again. Noone is going to follow you to china to try taking anything from you

Comment

Originally posted by gjbay View Post
      I am a citizen of Cina and I sadly found out that I have to file BK after divorcing with my wife, who took as much as she could, leaving only debt under my name. I do not have a job and I can not stay here forever as immgration officers will hunt me down well before creditors.

I plan to go back to China and never return to this country, my questions is: Shall I file BK at first place? And if the answer is Yes, do I qualify for chapeter 7 filling? I do not have anything left for me, except clothes
      If you are leaving the country, I would not worry unless you owe huge amounts of business debts. Your creditors may get judgments against you but they are unlikely to pursue you to China. I do know that in some cases, a US creditor can take a judgment obtained in the United States and try to have it applied overseas. But I suspect that is difficult, expensive, and extremely unlikely in the case of ordinary consumer debt.

Comment

How did you get credit in the US without having a US citizenship? You need a valid social security number, from what I've read. I'm sorry, but I have to say, as a US tax-paying citizen, people who come here from other countries, rack up debt, and then flee kinda tick me off.

Comment

Anyone here on a work visa/greencard will have a social security number. Even someone here on someone elses work visa/greencard (wife, child, etc) will have a social. Even if it is not valid for work, they will still have the number. When you fill out an application for a credit card they do not validate that the person is a citizen, so that person would just be like anyone starting out with no credit and will work their way up like anyone else.
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Grace View Post
            How did you get credit in the US without having a US citizenship? You need a valid social security number, from what I've read. I'm sorry, but I have to say, as a US tax-paying citizen, people who come here from other countries, rack up debt, and then flee kinda tick me off.
            Interestingly enough, the US relies heavily on borrowing from "foreigners" to finance the deficit. So I wouldn't get too tightly wrapped up in that flag on this issue.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X