newbie to forum / job quesiton.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie to forum / job quesiton.

first i would like to say that i have been in the shadows looking in on this forum for the past couple months.. i have indirectly received encouragement and support just from reading what everyone has posted (literally i think i have read every post on the site). there are great people and excellent conversation & questions on this site. i am happy to say i now have more confidence with my bk situation and would like to start posting on the site. THANK YOU to all.

this history of my bk filing is this: i'm in michigan, single with no kids. i made $68k per yr, was laid off in Jan 07 and now collecting unemployment ($362wk). i lived the good life as a single 32yr old making decent money. i work in the automotive industry as a program manager and this state is just about dead.

immediately the bills started piling and knowing the automotive market is not the best to be seeking employment now, i consulted an attorney for bk options. it was advised of course that i continue seeking work and wait a few more weeks to see if i could find gainful employment. if employed, we could seek ch 13 options, if not ch 7. to date i have not been able to find work and the passing time has allowed my 6 month avg income to come down allowing me to file ch 7 (filed 5/3/07).

now my issue: i have been seeking work since january, with no luck. my 341 is set for june 20. all my bills have not been paid since february. now i am getting a few calls for interviews, but no offers have been made. my credit is now trashed, was 700+ pre filing and i am going for no asset ch 7 (dumping everything). unemployment is running out in july so a job is needed asap. what if i get a job prior to my 341meeting, will that hinder my ability to file for ch 7? at this point i would hate to "turn down" a job, but with the amount of debt i have included in the BK, it may come to that. when am i safe to have a job and not affect my ch 7?

my attorney wasn't clear and i haven't pressed the issue cause i have not had any solid job offers.. but i got the idea, that after my 341 meeting, usually there are no more questions.

I'm filing:
    Primary home $230k balance, value $190 = -$40k
    Rental property $125,000, value $120k = -$5k
    Boat loan $16k, value $12k = -$4k
    Am Express. -$18,700
    BoA -$8,857
    Discover -$8,203
    Personal loan -$7,437

sorry note is so long, but thanks for letting me share my circumstance. i have more creditor stories and history to share, maybe in the next note

thanks to everyone in advance
    TM

Getting a job before the 341 may not trash your case, since the previous 6 months is averaged out -- however -- you may be asked if you "expect" and increase in income. If you do -- red flag.

I would wait until your 341 is complete.

There have been several on here with this same situation -- maybe they will chime in.

Good luck to you, glad you found us! Welcome aboard.

Comment

I wouldn't really worry about a job offer until one actually comes along.

Go on the interviews. It may take 2-3, maybe even 4-6 months before a job actually comes thru.

Hubby was interviewed in November. The job offer came mid January and he started to work early February. The company didn't wanna make a move until after they got thru the Holiday season.

You're interviewing in the summer. The hiring manager may interview candidates and then go off on vacation for a couple of weeks or a month prior to making calls for offers.
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I completely agree with SinkingFast.

My hubby had made it to the second interview right around the time we filed. He ended up not getting that job. But did get a job shortly after our discharge.
        We asked our lawyer what would happen if Hubby got a new job before the 341. He said that until you have a job offer in hand and have accepted in writting any new job is simply a possibility and therefore would not need to be mentioned if the trustee asked about changes in income. A lot can happen even during salary and benifit negotiations. So no job is for sure until you have that final offer letter in hand.
        Filed: 10/26/2006
        Discharged: 03/05/2007
        Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

I would say that until you walk into the door of a new job and punch the clock for the first time, then it is still a posibility! Job offers are ALWAYS contingent upon drug screens, reference checks, background checks, etc. So even if you have accepted then it doesn't techinically mean you will start.
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I was actually wondering the same thing. I have a husband and a baby and am filing on my own. My attorney's office should be calling any day now. They told me we were going to file sometime this week. But now I have been called for a job interview this. If I were to get this job it would be so much better for our situation. The hours are way more flexible so I could be home with our daughter more while my husband is at work and vice versa, which is what we have been hoping for. The only thing is I am not so sure how this would affect income. I want to say the job doesn't pay anymore than what I am making now, maybe even less. It's hard to say because it would be commission-based so I may start off making less anyway the first couple months. This job would be a blessing but at the same time I do not want to jeopardize my filing at this point - I am doing a Chapter 7. Any advice? If I were to get offered the job and didn't start until after my 341 would that make a difference? Thanks for any input.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X