Affirming debts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affirming debts

I am currently one month behind on my rent and owe my babysitter 400$ that I haven't been able to keep up with. I have every intention of paying both of these off. My landlord is an elderly retired man and my babysitter is a disabled lady who has been watching my daughter for two years, so I am not going to screw either of them on what I owe them as they have both been very understanding and kind about my situation. School gets out next week and after that I won't be using the sitter anymore as my daughter is going to her dad's and I am moving. I'm also moving out of my apartment at the end of June. It's very likely that I will be filing before I have finished paying off either of these debts. Will they have to be listed and then affirmed or can I just not list them? Neither one is "on paper" I only have verbal contracts with both of them.

List both; do not reaffirm. This offers you the most legal protection. Of course you can still pay them. Reaffirming is usually if you only want to retain property.
    Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Yes, list them on your BK papers......... and after your bankruptcy is over and you have been discharged, do the right thing..... pay these people if you can.... They have helped you in a time of "need"...... return that favor..... by paying them in good faith!!
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Ok, will they be contacted by the courts if I list them? Would I need to let them know ahead of time that I will be paying them and not to worry about anything they get in the mail about it?

Comment

Yes the will get something in the mail from the courts. A heads up would be good.
          Filed: 10/26/2006
          Discharged: 03/05/2007
          Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X