Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto reaff denied, credit union doesn't want car

Hello,

My ch7 was discharged about 2 weeks ago. The credit union says the car isn't worth repossessing and that I need to make an offer for the title. Are the financial institutions allowed to request money for the title.

Gotta say - I don't see any reason why they can't.
    They can't come after you for any deficient balance because of the BK, but they still have rights to the car. So if you haven't paid the car off they legally don't have to release the lein. They already said they don't want to waste the money on repossesion so give them a really low offer.
    Filed: 10/26/2006
    Discharged: 03/05/2007
    Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

I believe the are allowed to. I have a DELL computer that I owe money on as part of my bankruptcy. The lawyer told me that it was unlikely they'd want it back since its over 3 years old and isn't worth what I owe. He said they'd most likely make an offer of pay X amount and keep it. He said could be like a hundred dollars or so.

Now I"m not sure about a car but that's what I was told to expect on my computer.
      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I told my credit union to come and get my car. They will not. It would cost a few hundred to get it towed, more $ to have it stored, then someone would have to take it to the auction - more towing and the money it would cost to have that person take it to the auction and handle the paperwork and then maybe it would only go for $10. It is a 1999 Chevy Tracker 4X4. Soooo, I still don't have the clear title but I do have the car and I don't care if they have their name on it.

Comment

Offer them $100 and see what they say.

Comment

Hell, offer them $10! They don't want it.. keep driving it for free. I just don't see why you would make them an offer for anything other than a few bucks. You have the upper hand here.

Comment

Originally posted by lostinmich View Post
              Hell, offer them $10! They don't want it.. keep driving it for free. I just don't see why you would make them an offer for anything other than a few bucks. You have the upper hand here.
              Yes and no, he has the upper hand in the sense that he doesn't need to pay them anything and so long as they don't repossess, he can drive the car. The problem is unless some settlement can be reached, he can't get clear title in the event he may want to sell the car in the future.

It would be interesting to ask a lawyer (and I'd be surprised if a lawyer would even know the answer without researching it), whether, after certain amount of time, you can clear title based on abandonment or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
                I believe the are allowed to. I have a DELL computer that I owe money on as part of my bankruptcy. The lawyer told me that it was unlikely they'd want it back since its over 3 years old and isn't worth what I owe. He said they'd most likely make an offer of pay X amount and keep it. He said could be like a hundred dollars or so.

Now I"m not sure about a car but that's what I was told to expect on my computer.
                I never heard a PEEP out of Dell!!
                Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

As far as getting a clear title he can call his DMV to find out. A few years ago we had a situation where we could not get the title to our car. To make a long story short the car was titled only in DH's name, so the banks would not talk to me. DH would'nt take the time to call about why we had'nt recieved the title after pay off. After a couple of years I took matters in my own hands and got on the phone and found out the bank had been sold/bought out a couple of time since we paid off the car, no one knew who had the title. I did finally find someone who was willing to help me but DH would have to submit a request in writing.

I called the DMV to see if the lien had been removed and of course not it was still in place. I explained the situation and asked what could be done. They told me that after 10 years they automatically release any liens. So..at that time it had been about 8 years since we bought it. DH never took the time to hunt down the title, so at 10 years I called up the DMV they had released the lein and gave us a copy of the title. HTH
                  chap 7 discharge 06/07

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses. So it's ok for them to do that even though I haven't asked for the car? What is there to settle if I don't want it? I just don't see how repossessing it is a waste of resources but holding onto a title of something they don't want isn't a waste. What would holding onto the title do for them since I don't have an obligation to them any longer and the car will not bring them any profit? They said themselves that it's too old (12yrs) and has too many miles on it. Guess I feel like they're playing me in a since because the representative suggested that I "do the credit union a favor, put a for sale sign on it, give them the profit, and they'll send the title after that." Guess I'll see if I can get one of those free consultations and hope the lawyer will tell enough to point me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by ktcham View Post
                      Thanks for all of your responses. So it's ok for them to do that even though I haven't asked for the car? What is there to settle if I don't want it? I just don't see how repossessing it is a waste of resources but holding onto a title of something they don't want isn't a waste. What would holding onto the title do for them since I don't have an obligation to them any longer and the car will not bring them any profit? They said themselves that it's too old (12yrs) and has too many miles on it. Guess I feel like they're playing me in a since because the representative suggested that I "do the credit union a favor, put a for sale sign on it, give them the profit, and they'll send the title after that." Guess I'll see if I can get one of those free consultations and hope the lawyer will tell enough to point me in the right direction.
                      You mentioned your BK was discharged about 2 weeks ago?

Did you file with a lawyer? If so I'd give them a call ask them what they would offer. They might know more about it in your area.

Still having the clear title is a good thing, I'd offer em a 100 dollars see if they take it .
                      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Maybe this will help.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
                          It definitely helps and thanks for that. I spoke with a bk attorney today and he said that the credit union cannot refuse to take the car back and that I may drop the car off at the bank and get them to sign for it. He also said that the other option would be to drive it without a clear title. I sent a certified letter to the President and the Complaint Manager asking if they wanted a judge to decide? Thanks for everyone's responses.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X