exemptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exemptions

yes, i have a question about exemptions. how do you figure out what items as refrigerator, sofa and household items are worth to fill out schedule b. do you use replacement value, and what is the formula?

thank you

I used garage sale values, or salvation army values, unless it was a brand new item.

Craigslist.org can also help- search what people are selling similar things for.
    Chapter 7 filed 4/23/07
    341 Meeting 5/22/07
    Last day for Objections 7/23/07 - Discharged 7/25/07 - Closed 7/31/07
    On to rebuilding!

Comment

exemptions

thanks for the information.

Comment

here is the link to the salvation army valuation guide. Of course if you are donating and want to claim an exemption then you would use the high value, but it you are valuating your belonging for the purposes of BK then you would use the lower end. Print this out and keep it with your files. If you are asked at your 341 how you valued your belonging then you can reference this list.

Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

exemptions

thank you again for your help.

Comment

Think in terms of where you would find a replacement for like kind.

Where do you buy an 8 year old sofa?? Yard sales, garage sales, 2nd hand furniture stores, eBay, Craig's List, etc.

Goodwill also has an online Auction website. So that's a place for you to look for hard to find items as well.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

when I listed my personal property I did not itemize the refig and stove microwave I guess I need to ammend the schedules?
              Sometimes life make you deal with ugly and hateful people ,just think of them as sand paper. They may scratch you and rub you the wrong way but eventually you end up smooth and polished and the sand paper becomes old and worn out.

Comment

Many attnys don't itemize household goods any more than the BK Forms require. Household goods are lumped together. Clothing is lumped together. Hobby equipment is lumped together. That sort of thing.

The less item specific info you give, the better off you are.
                Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                Discharged - 12/2006
                Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

exemptions

thanks again everyone for your help, probably will be needing more in very near future.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X