top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My mixed up social security number - BAD NEWS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mixed up social security number - BAD NEWS!

I just had my first -phone- interview with an attorney.

At first, all went well, he told me we seemed like good candidates for filing.

One thing he mentioned is that the fact that I bought a tv or made a balance transfer a month ago doesn't really matter. He said that if a creditor perceives fraud it doesn't matter whether the last credit use was yesterday or 3 months ago. That goes contrary to what most of you have said here. Who is right, I wonder?

One thing that struck me was that he talked as if he totally empathized with the banks, like "Well, you made the charges knowing you would not likely be able to pay them back at that point, so it doesn't matter whether you wait 3 months, or not..." I thought, "Hmmm, that sounds as though he thinks I have committed fraud in buying the tv ... and that he agrees with what a creditor might say, that it was fraudulent"...

Then I told him about the last 2 numbers of my social security number being mixed up on my accounts, and he said that this could very likely be a problem, that they well may cry "Fraud!"

I said, "Well, then what would happen?" and he said, "Well, then you would still owe all the money, you wouldn't have really lost anything". I asked, "Well, what can they do about it then?" And he said they'd attach my wages and do whatever they could to get the money.

He then added something like "I can only do so much. If you have dug yourself into a hole too deep, there just may be nothing anyone can do. If the creditors object to your use of the wrong social, saying you defrauded them on that basis, and the judge agrees, there is nothing I can do. I would of course do my best to help you, but in the end there may not be much I could do for you. You'd be back to where you are now, owing the money."

I said, "Yes, back to where I am, except I'd be out an extra $2k for using your services." (He indicated that his office's charges would be $1600 plus the $299 filing fee plus around $100 for credit counseling.)

So, I feel very sick and nervous right now.

Just because I did not want to go to the trouble of correcting my social security number with all those creditors and the banks and so on, I may have screwed myself royally! I honestly did not think it was fraud because they had already given me credit under that number and I had a good record of paying them for several years, (most of them, anyway) so I felt it was not necessary to change it. ("Let sleeping dogs lie", "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", I thought. Of course, now, in hind sight I see that I should have changed it.

I definitely will talk to some other attorneys. I did not like this guys tone of voice, I did not like how he responded to the problem at all, he sounded more like he was ready to give in to the creditors than to fight for me, come up with reasons why what I did was okay, which is the attitude I feel he SHOULD take since I am paying him to defend me! Jeez, attorneys come up with all kinds of strategies to defend MURDERERS and this guy can't come up with a strategy to defend my use of 2 backwards numbers by mistake??! No, I think think this guy just wants to push the papers through and if any problems come up, he'll just toss his client to the wolves.

But, geez, if the other attorneys also see this social security thing as a major liability, I could be in for a big attorney bill, AND not get discharged... This could turn out to be a real BIG MESS, just because I did not want to go to the hassle of calling all my creditors! (Which I have to do, now, anyway, according to him. Though, I don't think I'll do it until I talk to at least one more attorney. I wouldn't go to this guy, anyway, I just didn't like his tone, nor his attitude.)

Would love to hear from someone out there who had this problem of a mixed up social.

It was just a "typo" thing, that I started using it wrong, and it was wrong not just on credit cards but wrong with my employer, medical insurance, car insurance, you name it... The one thing, though, is that when I found out it was wrong, about 6 years or so ago, I did NOT correct it with the creditors, only with my job and social security, and then my medical insurance which was connected with my job, to avoid problems. I did not change it with the creditors simply because I thought it was not necessary to do so since I already had most of the accounts for quite some time, and had been paying them under that number.

Seems to me that it is clear that if my intention were fraud, I would have used a whole different number, not just the last 2 numbers mixed up. And anyway, as far as I know, there was nothing wrong with my real number, there was no reason for me not to have used that, had I known it at the time!

But I guess it doesn't really matter what my intention was or that I made the payments faithfully for many years. All that matters apparently is that now the creditors have a reason to cry "Fraud!" and stop my bankruptcy. And if one does it, they will all most likely pile on, I imagine.

I hope the next attorney I talk to can reassure me that this will NOT be a problem! (And that he is right!)

Sorry this is so long. When I am upset I tend to ramble.
    <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
    FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Technically both the lawyer and the posters here are correct. If a creditor suspects fraud it doesn't matter if you made the transfer/purchase yesterday or 89 days ago. If it falls between the 90 days prior to the day you file, the burden of proof is on you, to prove it wasn't fraudulent. If it falls beyond that 90 day window the burden of proof lies with the creditor to prove you had commited fraud and it's much harder for them to prove you commited fraud.

It sounds like you already know to trust your instincts and go to a few more consults. When you have a gut feeling about a lawyer, it's best to go with it.

While it's possible that your social security mix up might not become a big issue, it's certianly possible that it might. So please make sure you get some much needed legal advice on how to handle that.
    "Try to save money. Someday it may be valuable again." - Anonymous

Comment

The fact that you corrected you SS# on all your personal stuff - employee records, etc is a BIG FACTOR......... but you should have corrected EVERYTHING or at least checked them......

By not correcting it on your credit cards - PROBABLY most of your credit history is laying on a file that is NOT YOURS...... being it's not being posted to the correct credit bureau account. sooooooo, if you have been making timely payments on things, there's NO RECORD of it at the credit bureau......

I don't know how old you are, but SURELY you know the importance of the correct SS# and this was an accident........BUT if you used the wrong SS# on most of your credit cards and then left it as such after you discovered it was wrong............that can be considered FRAUD......

This is what your attorney is looking at...... how the creditors and the judge will look at it....

Yep, you got a mess to clean up, possible dismissal of case here, and a lot of attorneys may not "touch it".......

Check with a couple of other attorneys and let us know what they have to say about the situation.....

Good Luck............
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Thanks, BKTango, for clarifying re the 90 day thing. Just that information alone - which the attorney did NOT explain - leads me to believe he either does not know his stuff, or he at least is not very good at explaining things and giving good advice. If what you say is true about the burden of proof being on the creditor after 90 days, then I think he certainly should have SAID that, and agreed with my assessment that I wanted to wait 90 days due to my charge of a tv and a couple balance transfers.

So I feel I was absolutely correct to throw his phone number into the trash!

As to the social security number thing, yes, I can now see it may be more of a problem than I thought. But I would expect an attorney representing ME to come up with some strategies and ideas to counter the problem, not just say "Well, there may not be much I can do!"
        <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>

Comment

Originally posted by Minnymouth View Post
          The fact that you corrected you SS# on all your personal stuff - employee records, etc is a BIG FACTOR......... but you should have corrected EVERYTHING or at least checked them......
          Yes, that is clear in hind sight. But honestly, I did not think it mattered that much at the time. I figured "they have my name, address, banking info, work info, etc.; I have been making payments on time for years... why change it?"

By not correcting it on your credit cards - PROBABLY most of your credit history is laying on a file that is NOT YOURS...... being it's not being posted to the correct credit bureau account. sooooooo, if you have been making timely payments on things, there's NO RECORD of it at the credit bureau......
          No, see, that's why I didn't think it was a problem. I saw that they had all the correct info on me on my credit report at the time: my name, my address, my job, my credit history, everything was there and correct except the last 2 numbers of my social. So I figured " if it ain't broke don't fix it". Again, in hindsight I can see I thought wrong. But at the time, I thought "no problem".

I don't know how old you are, but SURELY you know the importance of the correct SS# and this was an accident........BUT if you used the wrong SS# on most of your credit cards and then left it as such after you discovered it was wrong............that can be considered FRAUD.
          Yes, I guess. But I didn't see it as fraud, I saw it as just a typo that was no big deal. I also never dreamed I'd be filing bankruptcy. So, I can certainly see it is a problem, now, but everything is 20/20, with hindsight.

Check with a couple of other attorneys and let us know what they have to say about the situation.....

Good Luck............
          I will report back here. At this point I have to so SOMETHING. I cannot make all my payments. I could make partial payments, I could go to one of those consolidators, or I could try Ch. 13 instead, though all of that just sounds like indentured slavery to me, being that I really cannot afford to make these payments any more and living on a super tight budget of a Ch. 13 plan or continuing to pay all these bills given our lowered income, does not sound reasonable.

I wonder if I could get around the "Fraud" charges by correcting my number now, then doing my best to hold off bankruptcy for 6 months or a year, THEN filing. IF I could hold off, chances are I'd continue to get credit offers etc. from these banks and that would show that the changed social was not a problem for them... some kind of strategy like that...

I never thought it was fraud to allow the typo to continue as it was. By the way, Experian does show - as of 2006 - my correct number as a "variation". So it was reported somehow that I was using the correct number at that time. Since - I am pretty sure - Experian is the most used credit agency where I live, you'd think they weren't too worried about it, or they wouldn't still be sending me tons of offers for balance transfers, etc.

Comment

Hopefully you'll have a better feeling about the next one, but I'd go with your gut feeling and not hire the one you've spoken to.

You know it might not be to late to call and get the SSN number corrected. You could say, listen I pulled up my credit report and it seems that some folks have been reporting my number incorrectly. I want to make sure your not one of them. Might run it by a lawyer first be sure he thinks its okay.
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

If you have had these accounts for years, there is a good chance that the application no longer exist. It would be hard to prove if the creditor didn't have some proof.Pus, if the billing address, employer, income, etc. is truthful on the app. then your ss error is just that-an innocent mistake.
              I'd use your actions to defend the error. Your payment history over the years until recently shows no intent to defraud. A "bustout artist" would have run those cards up quickly and then defaulted.
              Disclose the potential problem to the other lawyers you speak with. I'd not attempt to correct the record without legal advise first.
              While there can be logical defenses to this thing, you need to understand you no longer have a routine, run of the mill bk and your legal fees may reflect that.

Comment

I can certainly see how this can happen. My husband and I lived together for 8 years before getting married in 2000. I'm ashamed to say that over 7 years later, I have never changed my maiden name on my own personal credit cards. I changed it on my social security number and Driver's license, but I've been too lazy to change it on my credit cards.

If the correct number is being reported as a variation on Experian, don't the creditors already have notice of that? I think most credit card companies pull the credit once a month anyway.

Comment

Your best bet is to wait and take care of correcting your social security number, The creditors will have a field day with you and will win. They have a lot they can agree. Just don't take the chance of getting your BK dimissed and you getting investigated for nothing. Just wait and make the necessary corrections then file.
                  Success is reachable, stretch out your arm and grab it.

Comment

just curious. have you tried correcting the info on your credit reports. that in itself might help getting it corrected with the creditors.

Comment

On the BK schedule it actually has a question, "Have you ever used any other social security number?" Apparently it happens. In my personal opinion, for what its worth, if you have a history of good payments and had good intentions to pay then that does not scream fraud. And with the TV the worse thing that could happen is they could object and you would have to pay it. But its unlikely. Talk to some more attorneys. They will be working FOR YOU and you have to feel confident about them. I had one attorney tell me that he wouldn't represent me because my chp7 case would get dismissed IMMEDIATELY due to my income level at the time of filing (old law)...and I filed pro se without a hitch!!!! Not reccomending pro se, just to say that not every attorney always knows what they are talking about. And sometimes they want it make it sound worse so that they can charge you more money for your "difficult" case. Anyway, keep us posted.
                      Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Good idea!

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
                        Hopefully you'll have a better feeling about the next one, but I'd go with your gut feeling and not hire the one you've spoken to.

You know it might not be to late to call and get the SSN number corrected. You could say, listen I pulled up my credit report and it seems that some folks have been reporting my number incorrectly. I want to make sure your not one of them. Might run it by a lawyer first be sure he thinks its okay.
                        That is a very good idea! Or how about calling everyone that has your ss number wrong and letting them correct it then filing bk. It will take some time but might be worth it. Just think how the person that actually has that ss number is going to feel S&T

Comment

have you tried pulling your own ssn and see what is on it???? Pull you ssn, and if they creditors are on it then they can't dispute anything because they found you and reported to the correct ssn. If your ssn does not have the creditors then I would just wait and get the ssn corrected then file. Sick and tired is correct just think how the person that actually has the ssn must feel??? I guess we forgot about them, Maybe the main reason to correct the ssn should have been that someone else owns that ssn, thankfully, it was an honest mistake and you paid the bills and thankfully, you were not going to file in that ssn. You will have to understand until you correct the ssn, not many Lawyers are going to want to touch your case, one of the reason people use lawyers is because the signuture means a lot to trustees.

Just take the time and call or write all the creditor or better yet just like someone post above write the credit bureaus and tell them your correct ssn this may take a couple of months to correct then file.

I am a pro se supporter but if you decide to go pro se on this you better get all the free legal advice you can and read and read.
                          Success is reachable, stretch out your arm and grab it.

Comment

I'm still in the process of trying to get recommendations for an attorney so have not talked with anyone in person except for that 1st attorney who got me all scared, saying that it WOULD be a problem and that it would definitely give the creditors reason to cry "Fraud!" But that guy was a real ass, anyway. I think he must defend a lot more creditors than debtors; he had a very bad attitude.

Anyway, just thought I'd add this to the discussion. I got an email back from an attorney in another state (so he has no reason to b.s. me, he knew I would not be hiring him), and he says this about the s.s. # mix up:

"I doubt it will be a “problem” in terms of jeopardizing your discharge. It certainly is something that will need to be dealt with, however, possibly by noting both SSNs on your petition."

So that made me feel a little better. I am afraid to do ANYthing until I discuss this with a few attorneys, and hire one. But I certainly HOPE this guy knows his stuff and is right about it not causing my case to get denied.

I'm going to try to make a couple appt's with attorneys tomorrow. And I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple friends who might know someone who knows someone...

Comment

hope you get a good atty you feel comfortable with....best of luck with your case...you'll be ok.....alot of these bk lawers have seen it all....
                              case filed : 6 -5-2007 :blush2:
                              DISCHARGED ...9-26-2007..:yahoo::yahoo:
                              case closed : 11-13-2007 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X