airfare expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airfare expense

I live by myself in the USA and all my relatives live in another country (where i was born). Is airfare allowable as an expense since i usually visit my family once a year? i did not pass that info to my lawyer, i wonder if i can include it

Thanks
    09/20/07 - Filed Ch 7
    10/24/07 - 341 meeting
    01/11/08 - Discharged :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
    01/25/08 - CASE CLOSED - :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I doubt it as it is not a nessisty. I have relatives in other states and in puerto rico and i can not afford to see them as much as I want it is not a priority I have bills first and fun later if I can not afford my own bills I can not afford to fly.
    Sometimes life make you deal with ugly and hateful people ,just think of them as sand paper. They may scratch you and rub you the wrong way but eventually you end up smooth and polished and the sand paper becomes old and worn out.

Comment

BK is about bare necessities to live. Airfare to visit relatives would be probably be considered a luxury by the Court.
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

What if they pay the ticket for him???

Comment

Well if they pay the ticket for him it would not be his expense to deduct.
          Sometimes life make you deal with ugly and hateful people ,just think of them as sand paper. They may scratch you and rub you the wrong way but eventually you end up smooth and polished and the sand paper becomes old and worn out.

Comment

why would he deduct that anyway?

Comment

I'm not sure what type of "deduction" we are talking about? Are we talking about an expense on the the expense schedule? Or are we talking about whether the trustee will question whether the this would be consider a luxury expense if it had been charge on a credit card prior to filing? The question is vague.
              Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I believe he is talking about living expense deduction

Comment

unfortunately, that would be a big fat "no" from a trustee as a recurring living expense.

Comment

Yes, i was comparing to something that would be included in the monthly expenses if i divide the cost of the ticket by 12 (# of months) since i go see my family every year.

So, since it is not a necessity, if i was in Chapter 13 with a plan of 5 years, that would mean not seeing my family in 5 years? Unless i could come up with some money on the side without letting the trustee know. But i will be filing Chapter 7 anyway. I am figuring out expenses to include, was curious if that was considered luxury or a transportation, even though not to work, but to visit family, being a different case since i am not from the USA.

Thanks everyone
                    09/20/07 - Filed Ch 7
                    10/24/07 - 341 meeting
                    01/11/08 - Discharged :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
                    01/25/08 - CASE CLOSED - :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Comment

It is a luxary you can do it but they will not consider it a living expense when they look at your income and expenses it will be recreation or luxary

Comment

It would be a recreation expense, what you do for recreation is up to you (me: gamble), I listed $100 (I think was the allowable amount) on my schedules.

FYI, Catchmeifyoucan
                        July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                        Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                        Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                        Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Yea, you could go that route.

Comment

Add a few dolars to your other ongoing monthly expenses plus, include some of it in recreation. With a little effort, you can find a way to bury the expense in your schedules.

Comment

Ridiculously, ...but nowadays even Greyhound bus fair or AmTrak train fair is even higher than air fair on sale!..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X