top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Express - Account NOT closed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Express - Account NOT closed???

We filed on June 4th and Amex had sent me two new cards, but weren't any good until I called the number on them to activate them. We didn't and hadn't heard anything.

I just got a bill from them for our renewal, evidently they haven't canceled the card. We didn't owe them anything though when we filed, the card had a zero balance and I believe the attorney did not list them.

It's a pay in full every month type card, you cannot carry a balance and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and pay the renewal fee, activate the cards and see what happens???? Of course, it's been a couple of months since we got those cards, they may not even be able to be activated. I

We haven't discharged yet, but have had the 341.

It could help to re-establish some credit, I guess. I could put a monthly bill on there, I'd have to pay it like I do now.

What would you guys do?
    Petition Filed 6/4/07 :clapping:
    341 meeting 7/31/07 :clapping: :unsure:
    First Meeting Held and Trustee's Report of No Distribution 8/2 :yahoo::yahoo:
    10/15/2007 - DISCHARGED!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Well, I called Amex and asked and the lady in accounts told me that more than likely when they pull the next credit report on us, the Bankruptcy will be shown and they'll cancel the account, so I just went ahead and canceled today. No sense in paying $145 for nothing, right!

Comment

RIGHT - they would have cancelled you as soon as they pulled a new credit report.....

Wait till after your 341 and discharge to try to get new credit for rebuilding the credit score....

Your not supposed to apply to any kind of new credit during the bankruptcy process...
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

My mom had two cards like that where she used them once, then right after she used them, the cards were closed. To me it is like why even bother (until after it is over) when you know what is going to happen.

Comment

you did the RIGHT thing. They would have closed them immediately. Amex does soft pulls all the time. The more you use the more soft pulls they do. Thats how the no limit thing works on the green cards......they determine whether a purchase will be approved based on a soft pull if the purchase is significant. When they say no "pre-set" spending limit it doesn't mean unlimited, it means they decide each time. And a soft pull is part of how they decide. Anyway, you would have lost your annual fee at that time. Smart move.
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I'm glad you called them and asked. I was going to suggest that because as you found out they'd most likely have canceled them. No need to throw good money after bad.

Good work
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnymouth View Post

Your not supposed to apply to any kind of new credit during the bankruptcy process...

I didn't apply for these, this was an AMEX account I've had for a few years already and I just assumed it was already closed, so when I got my new cards in the mail AND a bill for the renewal, I was confused.

The account had a zero balance when I filed, but I found out it doesn't matter to them.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X