Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep mail from creditors

Hello all. Thank you for your help.

Here is another question for you experts.

I know I need to keep statements, but aside from statements from the credit cards, should I keep other letters from them reminiding me about being late and not paying on time?

Thanks for your help.

Personally, I kept everything. I filled up a shoebox and stuck in a corner of the closet. Doesn't take up much room and I'll have it if I need it.

Comment

Never thought about it, but are you talking about after discharge or just until discharge?
      Filed Pro Se 9/10/07
      341 Complete 10/16/07
      Discharged 1/23/08

Comment

Hello. I am talking before the discharge.

Comment

I kept everything. My situation had gotten so bad I didn't even OPEN most of my mail for about the last six months before filing , just threw it in a box. When it came time to prepare my info for my atty, I had to open a gazillion letters from creditors, LOL. It was helpful to me to have it all at that time, so I could get EVERY address for EVERY creditor....some of my accounts had gone through about 3 and 4 different hands.
          Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
          341 Meeting July 19, 2007
          Discharged September 17, 2007
          Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
            Personally, I kept everything. I filled up a shoebox and stuck in a corner of the closet. Doesn't take up much room and I'll have it if I need it.
            LOL! We needed a copypaper box to hold all of ours! In our defense, we didn't file for six months....still embarassing to think we needed so much more than a shoebox to hold it all....ack!

IHN, save everything from every creditor that comes between now and filing. If you're an organizer, sort them alphabetically by company name and date, then take the last bill/receipt/demand for payment listing a due amount from each company/collector/lender to your lawyer when you are ready to file.
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Doesn't hurt to save them! And I'm a pretty organized person, since I gambled with my cc's I kept every statement for the past 4 years. Never know when the IRS wants an audit! Now that I don't have the credit cards, at least I still have proof of my wins/losses through cc statements.

Best to you, Catchmeifyoucan
              July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
              Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
              Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
              Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

LOL Lrprn. I stopped paying 14 creditors 5 months before I filed. I got way more than a shoebox as well. I'll keep it foreevr. My hiers can figure out what to do with the papers.

Comment

man, so it seems like everyone stops paying their creditors way before they file. My dumb butt is killing myself to make these payments for nothing.............?
                  NotFun
                  Filed: 10/31/2007
                  341: 12/05/2007
                  Last day for objections: 02/05/2008

Comment

Originally posted by CATCHMEIFYOUCAN View Post
                    Doesn't hurt to save them! And I'm a pretty organized person, since I gambled with my cc's I kept every statement for the past 4 years. Never know when the IRS wants an audit! Now that I don't have the credit cards, at least I still have proof of my wins/losses through cc statements.

Best to you, Catchmeifyoucan
                    Can you explain why on your signature it says January discharged, and then September time to close?

So it takes that long after the discharge for everything to finally end?
                    NotFun
                    Filed: 10/31/2007
                    341: 12/05/2007
                    Last day for objections: 02/05/2008

Comment

Originally posted by NotFun View Post
                      man, so it seems like everyone stops paying their creditors way before they file. My dumb butt is killing myself to make these payments for nothing.............?
                      If you really are going to file, paying debts that will be discharged is just money down the proverbial rathole.

Comment

My lawyer's paralegal that did my paperwork did ask for any and all correspondence that I'd received. For those with collection letter as well as a bill she'd just staple them together for the same account and file them that way.
                        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I don't understand the point of keeping mail!!!
                          I never get statements in the mail, they are all onlline bills. What would be the point of that?
                          I pulled my Experian credit report and all my creditors with account numbers and addresses were right there!!!
                          Why keep all that junk??
                          If you really need something, the credit card company has to give it to you anyway. Of course, I'm not 30 days late yet, with no collections or judgements, so maybe that's whY?
                          I'll be 30 days late by the time I file and I'm not waiting 3 months or 6 months. I'm filing right away...
                          My attorney said there is no need to wait!! I guess we have a good trustee who doesn't look back. He said he is so busy, there really isn't time for nitpicking.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyBerg View Post
                            I don't understand the point of keeping mail!!!
                            I never get statements in the mail, they are all onlline bills. What would be the point of that?
                            I pulled my Experian credit report and all my creditors with account numbers and addresses were right there!!!
                            Why keep all that junk??
                            If you really need something, the credit card company has to give it to you anyway. Of course, I'm not 30 days late yet, with no collections or judgements, so maybe that's whY?
                            I'll be 30 days late by the time I file and I'm not waiting 3 months or 6 months. I'm filing right away...
                            My attorney said there is no need to wait!! I guess we have a good trustee who doesn't look back. He said he is so busy, there really isn't time for nitpicking.
                            Well yes, in your case there doesn't seem much point to keeping old stuff. My case was different in that I went months and months without paying some creditors, and some of those creditors had sold my acct to this collection agency, then THAT agency sent the acct on to ANOTHER collection agency, and on and on. You get the picture. There were (no exaggeration) some creditors on my filing which had FOUR companies, with FOUR or MORE different addresses, and different account numbers. I was so confused when I started opening all my unopened mail. To make matters even more confusing, some agencies ended up handling more than one of my cc accounts. My head was spinning. Fortunately, I got it all down on paper for my attorney. Took me an entire couple of weekends of making sense of it all.

But I realize each case is unique. That's my own experience. I probably went a lot longer than most before I considered filing BK. (And for that I could kick myself! )
                            Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
                            341 Meeting July 19, 2007
                            Discharged September 17, 2007
                            Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

Individual debts that go bad are listed on your credit report as IIB for 7 years. Anyone tries to reage these accounts and I'll have proof positive of the time they went into default.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X