Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Story Needs Some Help Pleasssse!!!!

Please Delete This Username/Profile
    Last edited by LilStevens; 11-19-2007, 02:03 AM.

LilStevens,
    I am so sorry to hear about your the problems you are having. My first advice is to take care of yourself FIRST! Do not ever let someone make you feel guilty for anything that you do if you feel it is the right thing. Secondly....please follow the advice of your doctor as far as the medications go. There are so many great medications out there today that can treat depression, anxiety, OCD, and the other disorders that you mentioned. My husband has bipolar disorder and takes a great combo of meds that do sucessfully treat the condition. Do not let books such as the one you mentioned keep you from following the advice of your doctor!!!!

Next, please go out and make appts with at least 3 BK attorneys! Even if you cannot afford to pay them for the BK you can at least see them for the free consultation. This will give you much needed information.

As far as the student loans, normally they are not discharged, however your situation just might be one of those where it may be a possibility. I would also try legal aid in your area to see if they might be able to help you.

Lastly, Welcome to the forum. We are happy to have a new friend here.

Cindy
    Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

One more thing....I re-read our post and had a more comments. I still think you should see an attorney, but given the info you provided I am not sure that BK would be needed at this time even if you do not pay the bills on the credit cards or student loans. It does not look like you have any assetts or income that would be taken if a judgment was obtained. SSI is exempt and you did not mention any property. So at this point it may be possible for you to do nothing and be fine; in other words, pay your rent and other necessary bills and forget about your credit card bills and student loans for now..... Again, seeing a few attorney's for free consultations would confirm this and ease your mind. Bottom line: You have to prioritize and pay your living expenses FIRST and your credit card bills next. The next important this is that you should not take out anymore credit. Hope this helps.
      Cindy
      Last edited by CindyLou; 10-31-2007, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Comment

I agree. Sounds like right now you are pretty much lawsuit proof (since you don't have a job). You can stop paying your cc's and they can do what they want but there is nothing they can get from you at this point.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sounds like you need to get your life in order and become self-sufficient so you don't have to depend on a roomate. Keep toxic people far far away. (i get it - been there, done that - still do that). Plan your life for you, and you alone.

Keep bk in your back pocket for the future but right now there are other more important things you can do for yourself.

In the future, when you get a job, and are on your own - as long as you are under the median income for a single person and your monthly income basically pays for your expenses, you can still consider bk if you choose.

good luck!
          Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
          341 July 1, 2008
          Discharged September 4, 2008
          Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Yes, given the information you provided I'm quite sure you would qualify for a chapter 7 and be a no asset case. Based on your disability it would also be possible you could also qualify for a hardship on the student loans, which is very rare. I do not think you could do the student loan portion on your own, but the BK portion you could certainly do pro se (on your own) but an attorney is always reccomended.

Also, sometimes when there is a roommate involved and expenses are mixed things can get complicated so an attorney is needed in that case.

As far as the bill collectors. They may scare you but you need to ignore them at this point and take care of yourself. Yes, they may call your parents if you have listed them but then again you have to take care of your basic needs first. I do think you are probably untouchable to the bill collectors at this point, so they all they can really do at this point is call.

I know you love your mom, but you know sometimes you have to distance yourself at times in order to to care for yourself. If you aren't well then you can't be there for her.

It took my husband and his doctor a few tries to get his meds right and they still have to make dosage adjustments...it really takes patience. His quality of life has improved SO much since he was diagnosed and able to be treated. Look at it this way: If you had cancer or high blood pressure, would you try and live without treating it with medication? Mental illness is no different. The medication treats the body chemically the same way other diseases are treated.

I am really so happy that you are here and hope that you can explore this bankruptcy option and see if its best for either now or the future and try and get this financial stress under control because you do not need this stressing you out. You see like a very sweet person.

<hugs>
            Cindy

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Yes, Drs can be frustrating. I know, believe me! I am a RN and work with them every day. Remember though, even though a med is created primarily for one disorder doesn't mean it can't be prescribed for another. So even if it was made for one reason and even labled for that reason a doctor can use it for many others. Many times even if a doc things a patient has many diagnosis he may take the one that is causing the most serious problems and try to address that problem first. Many times as one problem is brought under control other problems can be ruled out; so what seems like multiple diagnosis may not turn out to be so many.

In the beginning my husband had to really be firm with his doctor that he DID NOT want to be on any meds that would cause him to feel like he was in a fog. Of course he understood that he would initially feel the side effect the first few weeks, but he did not want to feel loopy all the time. Also, one of the things that his doctor did for him was start one med at the time so that he could monitor what the side effects were and could decide which one were good for him. It was a long road and required a lot of trust with his doctor.

I agree, as a whole the pharmaceutical industry is corrupt, but again there are some really really good meds out there that could really help you so don't let that fact keep you from getting help. Try and find a doc that you can trust and give this a shot. You deserve to feel healthy!!!!

Comment

Comment

Yes, you definitely need futher attention from us.... I can see many posts from you with little response from us so far....

Comment

In sounds like you are on the right path.

I agree with Cindylynn you need to take care of yourself primarily. You need to find a doctor you trust and work with them.

It sounds like you are trying to get work and serching for agencies and help. I commend you. It really sounds like you are trying hard and on the right path. It sounds like you know yourself and what you need.

Legal aid is a great resource for you to start with to try and find legal representation so you can get rid of the debt then more on to the next step in your life.

I really don't have any new advice the other members haven't given you I just wanted you to know that we are here to listen and help when we can.

I also wanted to second what Cindylynn said about medication. Just because something is marketed for one condition does not mean that it is not effective for other condition. I'm a medical researcher so have seen the proccesses that some of these drugs so thorugh to get to the maket.
                          Additionally to address the multiple diagonisis. A mental health diagnosis is a rather generic thing. There is no one size fit's all diagnosis. So in order to catorgorize you symptoms they give multiple diagnoises. All it means is you are a unique individual and don't fall precisely into a generic catogory. No one does.
                          Last edited by JollyGG; 11-01-2007, 08:02 AM.
                          Filed: 10/26/2006
                          Discharged: 03/05/2007
                          Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

Thank You!

Thanks everyone!
                            Last edited by LilStevens; 11-08-2007, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Look up the books by Charles Linden on panic and anxiety. I read it and it seems to really help, assuming that is your core mental problem. It is kind of expensive $150.00, but comes with DVD's and stuff. I put it on a credit card, of course. I haven't panicked in months and I used to panic multiple times a day and hyperventilate and all that. He was a guy who was freaking out on "benzos" and finally took his anxiety issue by the...you know what.
                              Good luck with your bk decision.
                              Lefty
                              Filed Ch 7 - January 29th, 2008
                              341 - February 29th, 2008
                              Discharge - June 20th, 2008
                              Closed - October, 2008

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X