Utilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utilities

I have read that you should list your utilities and I have read that you should not listed them. Can anybody tell me which they did and why? I really don't want to have to pay a huge deposit with my power company, because I've put my $60 power bill on list of debts.

Should I send all my utilities a partial payment prior to filing, so that I really don't owe them?
    Filed Ch 7 2/21/08
    Discharged 6/5/08!!!!

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."~ Roger Caras

I listed my utilities but was moving out and didn't need them anytime soon. All were discharged. I did not have to pay any deposits to restart. However I am in Michigan and Consumers Energy (no deposit) and At and T, and Comcast were all great. In fact when I didn't owe them (wasn't behind) Comcast reset my bill to zero so I got a free month. But others have indicated that utilites can and will charge a deposit that can be really high. If you can afford to not be behind on your utilities, I would recommend that instead of worrying about paying deposits.

Comment

I didn't list my utilities but I am still need them. So for me they are current expenses and not debts.
      Filed 9/5/07
      341 10/4/2007
      Last Day for Objections 12/3/2007
      DISCHARGED 12/4/2007

Comment

If you're current on the billings with your utilities, you don't list them.

That's an on going, normal course of business type of expense.

Like buying gasoline or groceries.

If you're in arrears, that may be an entirely different story. How you'd want to handle that. You could list the arrears, or you could work out a payment plan to catch up.
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

List them as expenses, unless you plan to "write them off," as a debt!

Best of Luck, Catchmeifyoucan
          July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
          Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
          Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
          Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

ONLY list them if you have bills in arrears that are larger than 2-3 months worth of bills. They will require that to keep them going! I would tread that water very carefully!
            Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X