Is it OK to pay 1m ahead on mortgage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it OK to pay 1m ahead on mortgage?

I'm concerned about the amount of cash we have from our tax return, so I'm considering paying ahead on our mortgage to help reduce the cash amount in case they try to take some. Is that acceptable? Meaning I'd pay Feb and March now and then pay once a month until we file (to stay one month ahead) and then let it sit until it's actually due again once we are discharged? Our mortgage is like $2k a month so paying out $4k at once would def help our 'excess money' situation. (I know $2k sounds high, but here in NH it's pretty normal for a mortgage in our area)

Oh, and before someone says something about me having a lot of money for my refund, we had NO idea how much we'd get because we bought our first house last year and this is the first year we've itemized and had so many deductions.
    Last edited by cj0203; 02-11-2008, 06:48 AM.
    CJ
    341 on 8/3, determined NO ASSET
    60 day wait was over on 10/3/08. Discharged 12/23/08

Discuss your plan to pay ahead on your mortgage before filing with your lawyer. Some trustees may consider that a preferential payment if you do it within 90 days of filing.

Won't affect you now directly but the trustee could make your mortgage lender give back the extra payment which you would then have to pay again later.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Ok, thanks!