Redemption question... RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redemption question... RV

In a nutshell, the only thing we would like to reaffirm with our Credit Union is our $8,700 RV/travel trailer loan. The RV is worth $9250. I understand that chances of this are slim as we are sticking with a $40K loss. I started researching redeption loans but have come up empty as far as RVs go. 722redemption.com says they don't do RVs.

We haven't filed yet (and have perfect payment history), so refinancing is an option... the problem is that we are SOOOOOO over extended that I don't think anyone is going to bite.

Anyone know who does RV redemption loans? Interest rates don't really matter as we plan on having this thing paid off within 4 months of being discharged.
    Filed Ch7 3/6/08 [X]
    341 hearing 4/10/08 [X]
    Last day for Objections 6/9/08 [X]
    Discharge AND Closed 6/23/08 [X]

Rather than worrying about a redemption loan, I'm wondering which state you plan to file in. Can your state bankruptcy exemptions protect a $9250 RV along with everything else you want to protect if you file Ch 7? Refinancing won't matter if you can't keep it after you file.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
      Rather than worrying about a redemption loan, I'm wondering which state you plan to file in. Can your state bankruptcy exemptions protect a $9250 RV along with everything else you want to protect if you file Ch 7? Refinancing won't matter if you can't keep it after you file.
      I will be filing in NY.

Refinancing will take it out of my credit unions hands. If I get, for example, BoA to refinance it, they most likely will be more apt to let me reaffirm it.

From my readings, It seems that credit unions take the ultimate FU approach when attempting to negotiate secured debts while walking away from unsecured debts. They may want me to reaffirm everything to keep the RV (which we will gladly walk from if thats the case).
      Filed Ch7 3/6/08 [X]
      341 hearing 4/10/08 [X]

Comment

Here's a link to the New York bk exemptions - http://www.bankruptcyaction.com/nyexemptions.htm

Unless you are living permanently in the RV and can use the $50K NY homestead exemption, I don't see anything here that will protect your RV unless the equity (RV market value minus remaining loan) you have in it is low and the trustee is willing to let it go because it's not worth his/her time to sell or make you buy back. How much equity do you have in the RV in right now?
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

$500 bucks. The issue isn't the trustee taking it. It's my credit union not allowing me to reaffirm it!
          Filed Ch7 3/6/08 [X]
          341 hearing 4/10/08 [X]

Comment

While they may not agree to re-affirm it, I don't believe they can just take it, if you are current on your payments............If you are so much as a day or two late after your discharge, then they CAN reposess.....but as long as you are current, and remain that way, I don't believe they can do anything about it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here........
            You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X