attorneys fees up front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

attorneys fees up front?

When we file, do we have to pay the attorney's and filing fees up front? Should I save my tax refund to pay this?
    Thanks

Generally yes, for a chapter 7 most attorneys will not file the case until the ENTIRE fee plus filing fee is paid.

Realize, that most of the work that the attorney does that the fee covers occurs before the case is ever filed. The only thing the attorney does after a case is filed is attend the 341 meeting.

Comment

Fees for Chapter 13?

Do they want upfront fees for chapt 13 as well? Thanks

Comment

They will want "something" up front, but how much depends on your chapter 13 case. usually 25% of the total cost of chapter 13. So either way, you are looking at at least $1,000 to your attorney up front regardless of what chapter of BK you file.

Comment

Attorney Fees - How Much in Advance

The attorney I spoke with asked for $750 of the $2K upfront. Los Angeles area. Seems reasonable to me.

Originally posted by HHM View Post
          They will want "something" up front, but how much depends on your chapter 13 case. usually 25% of the total cost of chapter 13. So either way, you are looking at at least $1,000 to your attorney up front regardless of what chapter of BK you file.

Comment

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
            The attorney I spoke with asked for $750 of the $2K upfront. Los Angeles area. Seems reasonable to me.
            ApresMoi, it's against our forum rules to post to old threads like this one. In the future, please start a new thread of your own - thanks!
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget