top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think buying a computer would be considered a luxury item?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't know Dell had an outlet. Good to know, thanks.

Originally posted by Keebler View Post
    You can buy a very nice computer for under the $600 cap on luxury items. I'm fond of getting excellent deals through Dell's Outlet store on the Internet. The outlet store sells only computers and monitors are sold seperately. You could easily buy a computer under the $600 threshold of scrutiny and use your existing monitor for for days or weeks. In a seperate transaction, go out and get yourself a $300 LCD monitor, if you like, and you'll have a very nice system.

If you need more advice on buying an economical computer, I have lots of personal experience and I'd be happy to try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
      I didn't know Dell had an outlet. Good to know, thanks.
      Yup!

The systems range from "Scatch and Dent" to "Refurbished" and "Previously Ordered New". I haven't ordered anything since the Scratch and Dent category was introduced so I can't say anything about how scratched and dented the computers are. I've been involved with the purchase of several Refurbished systems and they all arrived looking great. If not for a red "refurbished" label on the bottom of the computer, you'd never know.

They used to have a complete satisfaction policy so you could return anything you didn't like. They also used to throw money at customers to help convince them to keep the systems they got and you could actually get a small refund on a system you bought if things worked out right. Most recently I think it costs you a few bucks to return a system so it's not 100% risk free as it had once been.

The inventory at the outlet changes by the hour and by the minute. The deals there range from mind-numbing (Like my Brother-in-law's computer was $165 before tax and shipping) to decent. Generally, the super deals disappear in seconds and the computers shown in stock at any given time are okay bargains and virtually always cheaper than the normal selling price when you buy them through a catalog or the usual website.

The only bad thing I can say about buying this way is the vast selection and the quirky way the website works. To the average person it's super hard to pick a system because there's so many choices and many of them are one-of-a-kind.

The cool part is how you purchase them as they had originally been ordered. My kids have computers that came with a three year extended warranty with on-site service! Some might have Microsoft Office included and some might still have Windows XP which is a big advantage.

In any case, there's money to be saved for the people who are willing to go this route.
      Last edited by Keebler; 05-02-2008, 02:38 PM.
      Discharged November 2008 100 days after filing no-asset Chapter 7. We intended to let a two-year-old vehicle go back to the bank and reaffirm an inexpensive ten-year-old SUV and our home mortgage. In the end we surrendered ALL of our vehicles and reaffirmed NOTHING. We'll "ride through" our mortgage after the court ruled it an undue hardship.

Comment

I got a new Dell Computer with 19" flatscreen + free printer/fax/copier for $750 about a month ago at best buy. It's an awesome system!!!! You just have to watch the sale papers and try to get there as soon as they come out because the sale items go fast!!

Because you aren't charging it, I'm not sure the same 90 day rules and 700.00 limit apply. If you are using your refund then as long as its a reasonable purchase then you should be find.
        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X