what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what would you do?

I have medical bills that I am including in my BK from services last year at a doctor and hospital in the town I used to live in. I just had a baby and now I have a $1000 deductible to cover at a different hospital. I am afraid to include this one because I don't want to be blacklisted at 2 local hospitals.

What would you do? Should I make an arrangement to pay the $1000 off so I don't have to worry about going there in the future? How does it work when you include hospital bills?

Thanks!
    CJ
    CJ
    341 on 8/3, determined NO ASSET
    60 day wait was over on 10/3/08. Discharged 12/23/08

I'd make arrangements to pay it off.

I had an $800.00 bill from my son, that the hospital allowed me to pay off in $25 monthly payments with no interest (I got it done in 6 months).

Comment

I dont know how your hospital works in your local area but I know how it worked for me. I filed a couple grand on our hospital, then turned right around and brought my wife in when she was having her baby.

Funny thing about it was we were/are in the stay and the hospital has been very anxious about talking about what we owe this go round, but we had no problems in the treatment area they never even mentioned it until I called them looking for the bill.
      "Dont Piss down my back and tell me its raining."

Comment

Hospitals cannot blacklist you from emergency or maternity care. It would be in violation of EMTALA Laws! Having your bills BK'd is actually better than having outstanding bills, but take it from me, an administrator in the healthcare industry, we will not turn patients away due to bankrupting a bill...and we really wouldn't even know that info...only the business office does.

If you are in doubt, call your hospital patient billing department and ask them.
        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Also, if you're insured they will take you. No insurance, that's another story. Look at it this way, they get money from your insurance so your filing on the deductible which shouldn't have ever been that high to begin with. I had a 1800.00 deductible on my oldest son, he's 13 and I just finally got him paid for. Our hospital sent the bill to this company called "Help" and we made payments with an 18% interest rate. They wouldn't accept payments (hospital), they said this company would "Help". It wasn't much help believe me!
          Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Thanks for the replies. we have blue cross, and it's pretty good insurance, it's just expensive (we already pay $15k/yr for it out of pocket) so i would like to include these but I wasn't sure how it worked. I'll have to call the business office and discuss it. Maybe they'll drop the cost since the alternative is no money at all (well, besides the money insurance already paid).
            CJ

Comment

I listed about $500 in my bk that was from our local hospital and I don't plan on getting "blacklisted". We use the hospital for ER purposes only and I still plan on going there if I need to.

I also listed my OB/GYN with my bk. I actually called and spoke with someone in their billing dept. and they said even though I'm filing, I won't be dropped as a patient.

Good luck!
              Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
              341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
              Last day for objections: 7-14-08
              Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Comment

I'm glad you asked this question. It was extremely helpful to read the responses.

I'd definitely list the medical cost as part of my bk.

I just worry that I would be digging another hole by keeping that debt there. And I think you'd regret it (not listing it for discharge) as soon as your case is over.

The whole goal here is to eliminate as much debt as possible and yes, that will take a little confidence on our part to not feel scared when we seek various services where credit may be involved. But the responses here sound very well informed and pardon the pun, on the money. I would definitely include it.

Good luck.

Comment

Ok, hubby and I decided to go ahead and include them. We'll deal later if there's a problem with a hospital. I do know they can't block you from ER care; and that's my only concern because of our kids. I might call anyways though to make sure.

ETA: I called and they won't block us from service if we file. I feel better now
                  CJ

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X