To Those Who Filed Pro-se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Those Who Filed Pro-se

I have couple questions....maybe more as I go....but for now, on the form where you list your personal property, the Nolo book I'm using shows listing everything in quite a bit of detail. Everything from appliances to an ironing board.

Is it really necessary to be that detailed? Also, when I'm filling in the value, is that current value for used items, or is that replacement value?

Lots of threads on this as well as great examples of a list of goods.

Do a search for ' Itemized list " and you should be fine.
    Very fortunate in the grand scheme of things but have learned my lesson.

Filed 12/15/08, 341 1/12/09, Cont to 2/12/09, cont to 3/12/09, cont to 4/15/09, cont to 5/11/09, cont to 6/02/09. Discharged 9/16/09, Closed 10/23/09

Comment

Originally posted by Lajazz947 View Post
      Lots of threads on this as well as great examples of a list of goods.

Do a search for ' Itemized list " and you should be fine.
      I just did that, and only got 18 results. Didn't find what I was looking for.

I guess I am most confused by this statement in the Nolo book.

"For your other property, estimate its replacement
      value—that is, what you could buy it for from a retail
      vendor, considering its age and condition."

Usually when you buy something from a retail vendor, it's brand new. The statement above tells me to put down the replacement value from a retail vendor, but consider it's age and condition. See why I'm confused?

Also, I wonder if I have to list the things that belong to my minor child?
      Last edited by Debster222; 07-13-2008, 07:35 AM.

Comment

'Replacement value' should be construed as though you were replacing all your items by going through the neighborhood yard sales. Even 'Goodwill Store' prices can be too much. But yes, there are many great threads here on the subject. Here is one of them:

Good luck.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks Cat,

This is what I meant for the OP.
          Very fortunate in the grand scheme of things but have learned my lesson.

Filed 12/15/08, 341 1/12/09, Cont to 2/12/09, cont to 3/12/09, cont to 4/15/09, cont to 5/11/09, cont to 6/02/09. Discharged 9/16/09, Closed 10/23/09

Comment

Thanks, AngelinaCat and Lajazz947! That is exactly what I wanted.

As to the other question.....do I need to list the stuff that belongs to my 17 year old daughter who lives with me yet?

Comment

She is 17 so therefore is underage. Also living at home? I would think she needs to be listed as a member of the household along with her things.
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Actually, the attorney for the US Trustee, while questioning my wife and I, made a comment that really surprised me. There was an item on a credit card statement that had been a Christmas present for our 17 year old son and she said something to the effect, "Oh, that belongs to him and was a gift so it does not need to be considered". This happened on a couple of different items. You can construe that however you want, but if I was filling out the forms again, I would not include the assets that belong to my son, within reason of course.

Comment

Originally posted by rfassett View Post
                  Actually, the attorney for the US Trustee, while questioning my wife and I, made a comment that really surprised me. There was an item on a credit card statement that had been a Christmas present for our 17 year old son and she said something to the effect, "Oh, that belongs to him and was a gift so it does not need to be considered". This happened on a couple of different items. You can construe that however you want, but if I was filling out the forms again, I would not include the assets that belong to my son, within reason of course.
                  Well, I was thinking about putting a special section on my continuation sheet at the bootm that lists her items and then the Trustee can decide if it should be considered. Do you think that would be OK?

Comment

A pacer account would be really smart for you to do right now. You can easily look up other petitions and see how people are listing things. That helped me more than anything because in my district things were very different from the examples in the nolo book. I also think the bankruptcy software is worth the $50.

Comment

Originally posted by Debster222 View Post
                      Well, I was thinking about putting a special section on my continuation sheet at the bootm that lists her items and then the Trustee can decide if it should be considered. Do you think that would be OK?
                      YOU are filing bankruptcy, not your daughter. There is no need to include anything in your filing that belongs to her, even if you paid for it.
                      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

where do you get the bk software for $50?

Comment

Originally posted by ameliabedilia View Post
                          A pacer account would be really smart for you to do right now. You can easily look up other petitions and see how people are listing things. That helped me more than anything because in my district things were very different from the examples in the nolo book. I also think the bankruptcy software is worth the $50.
                          Personally I just used the nolo book, and a thread from this forum that has a link to an annotated set of forms used by the trustee when training/going over documents. I believe it was called "what the trustee looks for" or some variation thereof. It answered all the questions I had after Nolo.
                          Not only am I not a lawyer, the California BAR association has sent me numerous letters telling me not to even THINK about going to law school. In fact, the lay advice I provide is not even good. In the end remember, you get what you pay for, and here in BK land were not the best at paying.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless ProSe View Post
                            Personally I just used the nolo book, and a thread from this forum that has a link to an annotated set of forms used by the trustee when training/going over documents. I believe it was called "what the trustee looks for" or some variation thereof. It answered all the questions I had after Nolo.

Where is that post? I'd love to see that one.

Comment

this link is helpful: http://www.irs.gov/irm/part5/ch09s06.html

and this is the link to the annotated-for-trustees forms:

Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
                              (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X