Did I screw up? I need advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I screw up? I need advice...

My wife and I joint-filed Chapter 7 this morning in Georgia. After we filed, we noticed two potentially costly errors:

1) the balances with some our creditors have changed since we added them to the list (because of additional late fees that have accrued, etc.) Will we have to pay the difference if the actual balance is higher than what we listed?

2) my wife lost one of her credit cards recently, after we added it to the list. The account number on her replacement card was different from the numnber we listed. Will this matter? Will the old number (listed on our filing) be ignored since it is no longer valid, and will we have to keep the debt with this creditor, since the new number was not listed? Or will the creditor make the connection that the number we listed is the old number for our current account?

If we have messed up, I hope that we can make an ammendment to the filing before our hearing, or cancel the filing altogether and start over. (There is about $15,000 on the card in question).

Does anyone know the answer to these questions?

Thanks for your help.

Balances change daily. Just list the amount to the best of your knowledge on the day you file will be fine.
    As to question #2-with $15K on the line, I'd pay the $26 fee to amend the filing with the correct account number.
    No biggie here!

Comment

I vote with amending also. Good luck to you!
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

You have no major problem. The balances the Court would know will change during your preparation and listing.

The other problem is that the old number of the lost card will “follow” the new replacement number. That is a fact, Jack. Just to make sure, you can amend you paperwork for 26 bucks. Talk to you r lawyer first. You are worrying premature. ‘Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Thank you very much for your advice. This puts my mind at ease. Have a great weekend.

Comment

Number 1 is a total non-issue

Number 2, you could go to the trouble to amend, but its not really necessary. Account numbers are not a required piece of information.

Comment

#1 - Don't stress about it. It's expected the amounts will fluctuate.

#2 - I'm completely paranoid about everything and would probably amend, but that's just me.
              Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
              341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
              Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X