The most important advice for newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most important advice for newbies

If you could say only one thing to someone getting ready to file for BK, what would it be? Only one turn and we all have to keep it short.

I'll go first...

If you're above the median, it doesn't matter how broke you are now. It's how broke the means test makes you look in the six months prior to filing that matters.

good thread idea! hmm, here goes:

you use the federal allowable expenses as the basis for your expenses on the means test; you use your actual expenses on schedule J, regardless of whether they're in line with the federal allowable or not.
    Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
    (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

Man I feel like I'm being censored but here goes:

Educate yourself

ep
      California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

341= do not use 10 words when 3 will do.
        Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
        DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
        Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
        Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Don't settle for the first attorney you consult with...ALWAYS interview at least 3-4 (if not more) attorney's before making a decision on who to go with
          Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
          341 Meeting - 08/13/08
          DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
          CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

"It is not the end of the world."

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Other people got through it, you will too. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Find an atty you trust and will communicate with you.
                Keep your answers short and sweet at the 341.
                Submit any and everything the Trustee or your atty asks for in a timely manner.
                Be organized and have all of your paperwork in one place.
                Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
                341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
                Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

"Plan your BK". Keep all your paper work. Read everything you can on the most up to date bk laws, be informed, even if you think your atty will take of everything.
                  Filed BK 3-31-08
                  341 meeting 5-16-08
                  discharge 7-18-08
                  Fico 595 pre filing, Fico 587 post filing

Comment

REMEMBER filing bankruptcy is a "business decision" to protect and rearrange the financial future for you and your family.
                    Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Purchase nolopress.com's C7 book. That will become your textbook. Purchasing through their website saves almost half the price of what it costs in retail bookstores. If a 'freebie' is offered along with it, take that too.
                      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM. Reason: Typos
                      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

If you're filing CH 13, obtain car(s) that will make it though the 60 months before you file.
                        Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
                        Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

"Everything Happens for a reason". Try not to beat yourself up over this, it happens, another lesson learned. Also there is nothing to be ashamed of.
                          Chapter 13 filed: January 4, 2008 :blink: Converted to a Chapter 7: April 23,2008 :unsure:Letting go of our house in the Chapter 7. :cry:341 Meeting held: May 23, 2008, :angel: No assett will Discharge: July 22, 2008:clapping:

Comment

Don't take money out of your 401K?

Comment

Since starting all this I now I have the serenity prayer as my screen saver. So that is what I read everyday, everytime I come to this site or research BK. Someone on another thread mentioned this long ago, So here goes:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
                              courage to change the things I can, and
                              the wisdom to know the difference.

I know maybe this isn't just about BK, but I find these words very encouraging.
                              Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X