Real Estate Taxes in Escrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Estate Taxes in Escrow

Just noticed on PACER that the county tax collector has filed a claim on our Ch7. I am sure this is probably just a normal procedure, but just wondered, since our taxes are included in our mortgage payment and held in escrow with our credit union, where we have our first mtg - what happens with that money?

We are current on the mtg and plan to continue payments. Still have not decided to reaffirm it or not (since we also have a 2nd with another bank) and the lawyer just put "debtor will retain collateral and continue making payments" on statement of intention.
    Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
    341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
    Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
    Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

That's an interesting turn of events; like you, I kind of wonder why. Since taxes are non-dischargeable, and they are paid current (or should be) I think it's worth a call to the lawyer to find out whether the claim is a formality or something that really needs to be paid attention to. It would also be useful to know whether the claim is for the current tax bill, or if there are taxes involved that you are not aware of.

I hope more knowledgeable people can chime in, but that's my 2 cents worth. Good luck!!!
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Thanks for replying, Fresh. I just now saw your reply.

Yes I will ask the attorney about this one. The amount looks like the real estate taxes.

I can't imagine what other taxes to the county there could be, but better check!
      Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
      341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
      Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
      Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X