Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if I don't have to file taxes?

Hello,

In the bankruptcy handbook, Mr. Thompson says that you must have filed taxes over the last four years to declare bk.

I am a student with no income, and no reason to file taxes for 2007 (according to the IRS website)

Do I need to file $0. returns in order to do this?

Anybody know?

Thanks!

~Christina

I'm not sure of your original question, however, if you do not file, you will not be entitled to the stimulious check.
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I'm not entitled to it.

I had no income, and my fiance listed me as a dependent.

*sigh*

I NEED a job!!

Comment

Bankruptcy law only requires you to file for the years in which you were required
        (A) The debtor shall provide--
        (i) not later than 7 days before the date first set for the first meeting of creditors, to the trustee a copy of the Federal income tax return required under applicable law (or at the election of the debtor, a transcript of such return) for the most recent tax year ending immediately before the commencement of the case and for which a Federal income tax return was filed; and
        Note where it reads "required under applicable law"... since the law doesn't require you to file, you don't need to file and you are excused from having to provide it!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Boy do I feel dumb! I'm glad I can get moving on this now, though, before I graduate. I'm beginning to see a (faint) light at the end of this tunnel.

Thanks, all!!

~Christina

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X