Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to stop paying vs. When to File

Hi folks,
    I'd like to stop paying my Credit Cards on Oct 1st and file on Dec 1st. I'm a little worried about extra income I have made that will not be out of the 6 month window until Feb 1st.

How much more Credit Card harrassment am I going to get if stop paying almost 4 months before filing vs. 6 weeks?

Thanks

Depends on the companies. Some are real pr...s.

Comment

Originally posted by JustDo View Post
      Hi folks,
      I'd like to stop paying my Credit Cards on Oct 1st and file on Dec 1st. I'm a little worried about extra income I have made that will not be out of the 6 month window until Feb 1st.

How much more Credit Card harrassment am I going to get if stop paying almost 4 months before filing vs. 6 weeks?

Thanks
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Depends on how much harassment you can handle. I had to purchase a software program to "black list" numbers on my cell phone. I have since turned it off, as my cell phone hardly ever rings now. I had even unplugged the house phone, allowing it to go straight to voicemail.

I now answer my house phone too. Ahh... the Automatic Stay is great!!!

I would use the time to save up as much as you can. Life can be a little weird after filing.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by JustDo View Post
          Hi folks,

Thanks
          I stoped paying in May and filed July 30th. it wasn't to bad I blocked all calls on my cell and don't have a land line.
          Chapter 7 07/30/2008
          341 09/17/2008
          Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

We stopped paying this month, and we don't intend to file until after we get our 08 refund back. I imagine the phone calls will start soon, but oh well. I have decided to make a game of it. Say the same thing over and over, and note how long it takes each company to give up for the day .

I'm sorry, I can't help you today....rinse and repeat.

I might even make a spreadsheet!

Comment

Stop paying now, but also stop using them! You'll only have to explain it later to the trustee or create more problems.Save the money for your attorney, put some in your health savings account, or any safe exempt asset. If you are reaffirming loans on a home or car, put toward those bills to keep them current. Pay taxes etc, any safe allowance (your attorney will direct you properly) I found it easy to tolerate the calls, considering how much easier it was to not have to pay them. If you & the family needs to catch up on doctors visits, eye exams, dental exams, need glasses, etc. this is the time to do it. (we learned the hard way, we had to cancel our insurance before bankruptcy and now after discharge are in debt due to medical bills) Had we known better we would had taken better care of our family & all gone before filing & included those bills in our bankruptcy. Take care of yourselves, it's a trying time & it can take a toll on you emotionally & physically! Again though, have your attorney direct you, so you do it by the book and play it safe. But personally I'd take care of business, and file in 4-6 months.

Comment

I couldn't believe the number of phone calls I got--daily. I let all of mine go to voice mail until I retained my lawyer, and then I answered and gave them her information. That pretty effectively stopped ALL the calls.

If you can "train" yourself to ignore the calls--it helps. You may want to answer them and tell them that you are insolvent and planning to file bankruptcy--they may give you a few days break--but they are all different. No rhyme or reason to who calls, how often, etc.

Plan on lots of calls and try not to let it get to you.

Comment

Two things:

1.) I get a ton of calls, but they don't really bother me. As soon as I see the numbers, I hit the alarm silencer and keep rocking .....

2.) some lawyers will let you direct calls to them as soon as you make a downpayment for their services .... not all allow that. my lawyer doesn't allow it. He requires payment in full before taking the calls ...

Comment

I stopped paying in late Jan/early Feb. I filed in June. I didn't get many calls at all. And I had all the big players.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                      Depends on how much harassment you can handle. I had to purchase a software program to "black list" numbers on my cell phone. I have since turned it off, as my cell phone hardly ever rings now. I had even unplugged the house phone, allowing it to go straight to voicemail.

I now answer my house phone too. Ahh... the Automatic Stay is great!!!

I would use the time to save up as much as you can. Life can be a little weird after filing.
                      how long did you ignore creditor calls? my parents have been ignoring them for about 2 years/have had absolutely no contact with any creditor and just recently I have hired a bankruptcy attorney and just disconnected their home phone bec I couldnt deal with it. does disconnecting the phone give them more means to file a lawsuit against you? I'm just scared they will now call my moms work or neighbors or something
                      Filed-10/2008
                      341-12/10/2008
                      Discharged-3/17/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X