Strange Car Question - Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Car Question - Help Please!

Our Chpt. 7 was discharged in 2004 and in that bankruptcy we included my car at the time...it was high mileage and 6 years old. Here it is, 4 years later and the creditor NEVER came to get the car! The car is now 10 years old and has 170,000 miles on it. The DMV always sends us the renewal for tags every year and we pay it, and wonder if they will come get it...THEY NEVER DO. We just guessed they didn't want to mess with it because it was worth nothing to them.
    Now, we want rid of the car...our title of course shows a lien holder, but nobody has come to get it in 4 years!
    What should we do with the car? Can you salvage it? Would they come get a 10 year old car with that many miles after this long???

Well..... We had two old cars--junkers--that we used as collateral when we borrowed money from American General. One car caught fire in the driveway, and we eventually gave it to a neighbor who hauled it off. The other car, that had a history of breaking down, did so yet again. When 'Hub got it to the shop to get it repaired, the estimate for a 'temporary' repair was more than 1K, with no guarantee that it would hold together more than a week. So, 'Hub gave it to the mechanic for the cost of the estimate--around $50.00.

I don't know if that was any help or not. In both cases, the cars were 'junked'.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by scape72 View Post
      Our Chpt. 7 was discharged in 2004 and in that bankruptcy we included my car at the time...it was high mileage and 6 years old. Here it is, 4 years later and the creditor NEVER came to get the car! The car is now 10 years old and has 170,000 miles on it. The DMV always sends us the renewal for tags every year and we pay it, and wonder if they will come get it...THEY NEVER DO. We just guessed they didn't want to mess with it because it was worth nothing to them.
      Now, we want rid of the car...our title of course shows a lien holder, but nobody has come to get it in 4 years!
      What should we do with the car? Can you salvage it? Would they come get a 10 year old car with that many miles after this long???

Most salvage yards won't touch it, nor will the "donate your car to charity" places if there is no title in your name. However, if there are any "mom & pop" junkyards around they might take it if you sweet-talk them.
      Filed: 7/31/08
      341: 9/19/08
      Report of no distribution 10/23/08
      DISCHARGED: 11/19/08 (Day 60)

Comment

Take it to the bank and hand them the keys. What are you going ot do if they want the car back latter. I think that would be the safest thing to do.
        Chapter 7 07/30/2008
        341 09/17/2008
        Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Call the lender and ask them if they will send you the title.
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

It is possible if the lender won't give you the title, you could get a title from the state given the fact that the lender abandoned their interest.

I agree though... if you don't want it any more, park it in the banks parking lot, and give them the keys.
            Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
            Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
            If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Never_Again View Post
              I agree though... if you don't want it any more, park it in the banks parking lot, and give them the keys.
              For some reason, this strikes me as humorous but at the same time sounds like the only plausible thing.

Person walks into bank. Flips keys to the customer service rep "Here, it's yours." Walks out.

Make sure you video tape it.

Comment

Originally posted by happy_ira View Post
                For some reason, this strikes me as humorous but at the same time sounds like the only plausible thing.

Person walks into bank. Flips keys to the customer service rep "Here, it's yours." Walks out.

Make sure you video tape it.
                Thats what Bank of America wants to do when i turn mine in
                Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                341 09/17/2008
                Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
                  Thats what Bank of America wants to do when i turn mine in
                  I live in New York City where finding a parking spot for your car in mid Manhattan is impossible. I can only imagine the raucous this would cause if one were to park their car on the street in Times Square and walk into the bank to return the keys.

Comment

Originally posted by happy_ira View Post
                    I live in New York City where finding a parking spot for your car in mid Manhattan is impossible. I can only imagine the raucous this would cause if one were to park their car on the street in Times Square and walk into the bank to return the keys.
                    I can only imagine
                    Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                    341 09/17/2008
                    Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Of course my "bank" or lending company happens to be states away...no one local. So, no walking in and plopping the keys down. I have got to search through my paperwork to even find their address... I don't even know if I can contact them, but I am going to try.
                      I had had several people want to buy my car, and I just really want rid of it...but they have no way to get it licensed! I would just give it away really!!
                      Last edited by scape72; 09-23-2008, 06:21 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X