Ch. 7 - met with 3rd attorney - the saga continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ch. 7 - met with 3rd attorney - the saga continues

If you remember my previous disaster posts, the first two attorneys I spoke with were of no help since I made too much money and they do not do the means test.

Yesterday I finally met with the 3rd attorney. She was a very nice lady and talked with me for about 45 minutes. I brought in copies of the past 6 bank statements so she could see my income. She told me that since I am way over the median, she could do the means test for me. I told her that I followed the links on Legalconsumer.com and did the means test there and passed. She said if I passed there, then I would most likely pass with her doing it. She charges $500 for the time of doing it. Very few attorneys in my area do the means test. I brought printouts of everyone I owe money to. It came out to almost 60 people that I would be going bankrupt on. She said with all of those people, the means test, court costs and everything that it would cost me about $3400 for a Ch. 7. She said if I did a Ch. 13, it would be even more expensive.

As usual, the wife pissed and moaned about the whole thing. I fought with her over it for hours. She finally broke down and said that she would agree but she would not give back the BMW. I fought and fought and fought and there is just no reasoning with her. She barely makes $1,000/mo. take home. For her to drive that thing to work, it's $740/mo. for the payment, $320 or so for gas, plus $100 to insure, not including the cost of tires, oil changes & other maintenance. It's almost $1200/mo. to drive that thing.

For some reason the light bulb doesn't go on with her. I have argued with her until I am blue in the face telling her that EVERYONE has told me to give that thing back.

So I gave her this ultimatum...

I said, "You either go bankrupt with me together and we keep the house and the $309/mo. sedan or I go bankrupt alone. And if I go alone, I plan on going bankrupt on the home, both cars and everything there is and walking away clean."

That REALLY pissed her off. I told the attorney I'd come back after the 15th to sign the retainer. I only get paid once per month. She's hoping that I can file by February to April after my income levels drop some more. They raised the median income here to just over $51,000/yr. but our deposts are showing just over $40,000 for the past 6 months.

I hope that means test on legalconsumer.com is right or I am in deep trouble. Do you all think it is accurate?

If I file bankruptcy on my own without an attorney, is there paperwork for the means test that I can file on my own or does an attorney have to do it all? I haven't seen any PDF for it for download to do it myself.

We owe about $146,000 on our house. I think it could be worth $100-120k in this housing market. There's no good paying jobs for any closer to 60-150 miles away, so I just assume to get out of here. If I go alone and end up getting divorced, then so be it.

If I go bankrupt on my house, how will I ever be able to buy another one in the future without 20-40% down?

One other thing I might ad... what happens when you don't have all of the statements for these people? Lots of my statements were either lost or thrown away. Are they required when doing a Ch. 7?

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
      One other thing I might ad... what happens when you don't have all of the statements for these people? Lots of my statements were either lost or thrown away. Are they required when doing a Ch. 7?
      You don't need the statements, but you need reliable contact info for the creditor so you can list them on your petition.

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
        This one is easier to answer for me. I ran a full credit report at Equifax and used that to fill in those places I didn't know. If you see something you don't recognized be sure to check it as disputed (on your schedules).

Adding to what HHM wrote, I received 2 bouncebacks (out of 40 or so creditors) when using the addresses on the Credit Rep rot.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X