Is this a big deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a big deal?

We recently filed Chp. 7 bankuptcy. Our 341 is November 3rd. Without thinking, I gave away one of our dogs to a new loving home right before we filed. We have to rent and no one would accept 3 dogs, so I had to place one. I accepted no money for her, just wanted her to go to a really fabulous home. Now I just realized that we have 3 dogs listed on our bankruptcy paperwork. If the Trustee asks if we have given anything away, I'll have to be honest and tell him we gave 1 dog away in order to get into a rental. Do you think this will be a big deal to the Trustee or cause a problem with our case?
    Filed Chp. 7 (asset) bankruptcy w/attorney 9/30/08
    341 meeting scheduled 11/03/08
    Last day for objections 1/02/09

Our dog, Ivan was listed at $25. He is a purebred Bassett that we paid hundreds for. As much as we love our dogs their value to the Trustee is pretty close to zero.

I am assuming that you didnt give away on of those almost extinct hairless dogs that are worth $20,000+ dollars.
    5/29 Filed 7~ 341-on 6/24
    8/27-DISCHARGED
    11/2 - CLOSED
    EQ-604 EX-605 TU-560 ~4.5 months after discharge

Comment

I *really* don't think this is a problem. But I understand.

I am glad you got them a home!
      Filed C7 Aug 31 2008
      341 Oct 8 2008
      Discharged Dec 9 2008

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I am a touch paranoid about every detail right now! I just need the 341 to come and go so I can stop worrying about all this stuff! Must be the pregnancy hormones!

Comment

Ummm... it wasn't me. (A little pregnancy humor.)

I wouldn't worry so much unless you're a breeder and they are considered "livestock" or "product" or "inventory". (Yes, it's difficult to think of them that way, but they can be when a Trustee is looking at them as tools (implements) of a business.)
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            Ummm... it wasn't me. (A little pregnancy humor.)

I wouldn't worry so much unless you're a breeder and they are considered "livestock" or "product" or "inventory". (Yes, it's difficult to think of them that way, but they can be when a Trustee is looking at them as tools (implements) of a business.)
            Well, I was a breeder and I did used to show dogs. But, I haven't bred a litter in a year or stepped in the show ring in about 2 years. The "business" (I hate to refer to it as that) is essentially no longer existing or doing business. The dog I placed was a retired champion, but of no breeding "worth" because she was spayed and can't produce pups. She was basically "just" a dear pet. I chose to place her because my other two are very, very old and it wouldn't be fair to them to put them in a new home at this point. But, will the Trustee care about all of this? Will he even care to listen to my reasons or explanations? Who knows. I am just so tired of panicking over each detail. I guess when we hired an attorney, I expected someone to hold my hand and calm my every fear, but it hasn't been that way!

Comment

Originally posted by grifterbank View Post
              But, will the Trustee care about all of this? Will he even care to listen to my reasons or explanations?
              Sometimes, the Trustee surprises people and doesn't even ask. If you listed that you have or have had operated a business within x number of years (where I don't know what x is), you may have to explain.

However, Trustees are looking for money (assets). if you have 3 old dogs... and you used to be a breeder... I don't even think they'll ask you anything. Especially if you didn't list an operating business.

The only thing to worry about at a 341 Meeting is if you're hiding assets (or have transfered assets within 1 year or so or done any Insider transfers).

In the end, the Trustee only cares about money. If there's nothing of value, s/he will move on to other things.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Trustee will not care so don't even think about it anymore. Glad you were able to find a suitable home. It breaks my heart to see all these folks have to give up their babies due to what is going on.
                Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                341 July 1, 2008
                Discharged September 4, 2008
                Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by danaf View Post
                  Trustee will not care so don't even think about it anymore. Glad you were able to find a suitable home. It breaks my heart to see all these folks have to give up their babies due to what is going on.
                  Thank you. Yes, it's been very hard. I have always been someone who views pets as family. But, I know she's in fabulous hands and I did my homework before placing her with the new family. She's actually the younger dog. I kept the two older ones with us. I couldn't bare to put them through a new family transition in their old age.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X