Using Your Checking Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Your Checking Account

I'm planning on filing in a few years. I just found a job & opened up another checking account. I will be getting direct deposit & using it for gas & groceries. I know they check your checking account history several months back when you file but is it ok to withdraw most of my money & use cash instead of my card? Is it even ok to be using my checkcard for basic needs or should I just use cash?

If you use cash, keep the receipts. You mean you are filing in a few months, not years...right?
    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I too am assuming that you mean a few months???

Use your checking account as it was intended..bank debit is actually better than withdrawing cash because you will have a record of where the money goes...but you probably have nothing to worry about.

Day to day living expenses via your bank account are not going to be scrutinized by anyone unless you have done something fradulent.

And they don't always check your bank statements. No one asked for mine.

ep
      California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

they need the bank statements to fill out your Schedule J so you want that to be recoded how much gas, groceries and such, if you are well below means then don’t worry about it. I personally would rather have the records
        Chapter 7 07/30/2008
        341 09/17/2008
        Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Hi Krispy, 'Hub would say 'Hi KrispyKritter' It sounds like you are doing good. Keep the reciepts and don't over-extend yourself. Congrats on the new job. My best~~
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
            they need the bank statements to fill out your Schedule J so you want that to be recoded how much gas, groceries and such, if you are well below means then don’t worry about it. I personally would rather have the records
            I agree it's better have the records than not but who needs your bank statements to fill out your schedule J?

I think you will find this not to be realistic in many cases since the living expenses are racked up before the decision to BK is even made. Who keeps grocery receipts when they haven't realized their situation yet?

ep
            Last edited by epiphany; 11-20-2008, 10:57 PM.
            California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

WEll I'm at the point now where I'm planning on filing in May if all works out... Since we're sole proprietors, I'll ahve to do monthly p and l statements (arrgh! more bookkeeping!). So i too have been wondering if I need to document stuff besides business expenses. I started just taking out cash for the week and spending that, with occasional bank debits. But what other receipts would you need? Don't they just go by the standard IRS amounts? I think we'll be (just) under the means, so should I also be saving receipts for stuff like extra medical expenses?
              I hate the bookkeeping part, so sure would like to simplify things!
              Thougths?

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany View Post
                I agree it's better have the records than not but who needs your bank statements to fill out your schedule J?

I think you will find this not to be realistic in many cases since the living expenses are racked up before the decision to BK is even made. Who keeps grocery receipts when they haven't realized their situation yet?
                ep
                Well i could prove i was spending 400 a month on gas and 300 a month on food So i did not need receits i used my bank statments
                Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                341 09/17/2008
                Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

The only thing I was told to bring is the statements of my bank account and savings account showing the balance on the day I filed. Nothing else in regards to proving anything. I will find out Wednesday if my Attorney got something right.
                  Filed 10/20/08
                  Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

However, when you have a business you do receive more scrutiny than the normal filings. I had to provide two years of bank statments. If you are filing in May, you will want to document everything - so you might consider using the debit card as an automatic record on your statements.
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I withdraw half of my paycheck so I can use cash. It helps me not overspend too much. I did mean a few years, I am waiting 2-3 years to file. I've got alot of issues to sort out. Meanwhile, I guess I will not withdraw as much cash. Thanks!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X