top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Research Project II (Criminal Fines and Restitution)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research Project II (Criminal Fines and Restitution)

Question:
    Are debts that are Criminal Fines or Restitution considered Non-Consumer debt such that if these fines or restitution represented more than 50% of the debtor's debt, could he bypass the means test.

As before, I am not asking for speculation, please try to find a case or other resource.

Note, Criminal Fines and Restitution are non-dischargeable, the issue is whether they are/can be classified as non-consumer debts for the purposes of the Means Test

I haven't heard anything back on the first challenge question.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Actually, these projects are not "tests", I really am looking for some answers

Comment

So, this one is the stumper

Comment

Yes it is. While I have some opinions on it, I could find no caselaw to support my position.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I know a guy who just got sentenced to 30 months of federal time and 800k+ of restitution so I'll let you know how it works out.
            filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

I can't imagine that a fine or restitution in a criminal case, particularly one involving some sort of a plea bargain, would be discharged in a bankruptcy. Obvously I have no hard knowledge whatsoever on this topic, as I am not a lawyer or even a CPA, but it seems to me that if a defendant makes a plea deal where they agree to pay a certain amount and this amount gets discharged in a BK, wouldn't that mean the person (now convicted and sentenced, and let's say not in jail because of the plea arrangement) would be in violation of their plea agreement?

Comment

Restitution as part of a criminal case is not dis chargeable. Even if it was under and it was with a plea agreement the person would be in violation of that agreement and could go to jail.

Comment

Yeah, that was kind of what I was assuming with my post, though your post sounds like you are speaking from actual knowledge, where I was just offering an uninformed opinion. ;)

Comment

Yes I am speaking from personal experience on the matter...

If they were dis chargeable then people would agree to whatever and then declare BK. Kinda like why student loans are not dis chargeable. People would rack up 100k+ in student loans and then declare BK right after they secure a job after graduation.

Comment

Ah, okay. I thought that Student loans were no dischargable because they were government guaranteed. Shows what I know, lol.

Also, a little off topic, but someone once told me that you can wipe out a substantial portion of your Student Loan if you file a Chapter 13. Is tha true?

Comment

I think asking about student loans in this thread is a bit off topic but I did read a case decision where a debtor had a chap 13 plan where he did pay back a portion of his student loans through the plan. When the plan was completed the debtor argued that since the student loans were paid via the plan and the plan completed he was eligible to discharge all debts in the plan, including his student loans. The court agreed.

I found the link to the post on this forum which has a link to the article http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...r+13+discharge

student loan debts can be discharged by way of a Chapter 13 plan if the creditor does not object, after receiving notice of the proposed plan . . . and that such notice is not constitutionally inadequate.

In other words if the student loan creditor does not object at time of plan confirmation they agreed to the plan which means all debts in the plan are otherwise discharged at plan completion unless otherwise stated.

This ruling was in San Diego so YMMV
                        3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
                        4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
                        4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
                        6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X