Well, Countrywide knows!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Countrywide knows!

I financed my house with Countrywide back in May and pay online every month like I do everything else. We are keeping the house so I wanted to make the Jan. pmt.

Logged on today and it said I was not authorized to make a payment, so I called them. The phone transferred me to a "Bankruptcy Department" and they took a payment but said I was no longer able to go online to make them anymore due to it being an "attempt to collect a debt".

I had no idea things like this would happen. I filed on MONDAY also, so I never thought that anyone would know yet.

Also, we opened a new bank account today and they pulled our credit and there was no indication of BK on there. Strange or normal?

They know overnight. There's some sort of service that links to the Credit Reporting Agencies and they get overnight updates of your Bankruptcy petition filing.

Then, certain subscribers (creditors) get immediate notification that you filed.

Any creditor as sophisticated as Countrywide (Bank of America), Chase, Citi, and the like, will know within 48 hours of filing. Many of them will take some sort of negative action as well, to shut down credit lines.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Looks like everyone knows then!

I owe BofA and Citibank. I'm gonna go surf over to their sites.

What do you mean "some sort of negative action"?

Comment

So what happens after you file and you are still paying your mortgage? I usually mail it so i'm assuming i still can and they will except it?
        FILED CH7: 03/20/09
        341: May 11th, 2009
        DISCHARGED: July 13th, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by momof3b1g View Post
          So what happens after you file and you are still paying your mortgage? I usually mail it so i'm assuming i still can and they will except it?
          I asked the same question! It COMPLETELY took me by surprise when the automated system said something about the BK department. I actually took the phone off my ear and looked at it. LOL

So anyhow, the answer to your question is yes, they will accept payment and I made a payment over the phone free of charge. Good to go.

The lady actually THANKED me for my attitude in the matter and said that I was a breath of fresh air and they very rarely spoke to friendly people. That made me feel good. I just had no idea what the hell was going on. No reason to be rude.

Comment

Originally posted by momof3b1g View Post
            If you are keeping the house just keep paying.
            Chapter 7 07/30/2008
            341 09/17/2008
            Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

I have CitiMortgage and they also removed my online access to paying my monthly mortgage. The customer service agent in the bankruptcy department did tell me that as soon as my bk was closed that I would be able to request online access again. I've been calling and making my payments over the phone and it's working just fine for now.
              Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
              341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
              Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Why don't you just use the online feature of your checking account bank? That isn't your creditor's online system so it is no problem for you to pay online through your own bank. Seems the simplest to me....you can tell it once to pay the same amount the same day every month and then forget it...... what is it that Ron Popeil says about the dehydrator on the infomercial...."set it and forget it"

Comment

Originally posted by Confused33 View Post
                  What do you mean "some sort of negative action"?
                  Umm... cut off on-line access. Reduce or freeze lines of credit. Other things like that.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

My mortgage company did the same thing. I usually call it in and they take the payment over the phone. Have never had a problem doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Confused33 View Post
                      The lady actually THANKED me for my attitude in the matter and said that I was a breath of fresh air and they very rarely spoke to friendly people. That made me feel good. I just had no idea what the hell was going on. No reason to be rude.
                      That's (I firmly believe) one MAIN thing people HAVE to remember. While they didn't intend for this to occur (Bankruptcy) letting the stress/anger/depression/hurt get to you is the worst thing and passing on your feelings (Rudely) makes the person on the other end, straining to even be civil also.

Case in point, one of my nephews worked at a local wireless store. There are RULES he MUST follow, but he also knows ways to get around them. However, you usually should approach with the "Gee, can you help me with this?" attitude or such.

Not this one guy, came in, cut in line and gave him a verbal reaming before handing him the phone and saying "Fix this issue" my nephew calmly handed the phone back saying "I'm not allowed to do repairs" (He knew what to do, how to do it and such, but he legally could refuse as he wasn't working in tech at that office)

The guy took the phone and snapped it in half and then threw it at my nephew and stormed out. 3 hours later, the guys wife called, asking for return of the phone. In this company, ANYONE who leaves a cell phone (Trashing it, damaged, rejects it, loses it. Period. He'd dumped it in the trash and took the trash out.

She screamed at him for this and he calmly told her the rules (Which are posted at three areas of the store) and that she could call another number and scream at them.

The funny thing was, a woman (About same age) had come in and was waiting in line and had a similar issue, but had a MUCH better attitude. Result? She left the store with a BRAND NEW phone.

NO, not because she was pretty (He sort of mentioned she would have to fight off Mr. Ed if he was looking for female companionship) but her attitude was one of "What can we do together?"

I have seen this also and I know alot of people have experienced both sides (And probably have received both sides) and the same answer comes up. Be civil and poilite and you'll be leaps and bounds beyond those you leave behind.

Comment

I have Wells Fargo for home and Car. They removed my online access to pay my car.However, my home and student loans are available online. I had to call the BK department to make the payment for the auto.(direct) 1866-777-8914. However, my house payment is automatically deducted and they did deduct it for Dec ( filed Nov).

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                          They know overnight. There's some sort of service that links to the Credit Reporting Agencies and they get overnight updates of your Bankruptcy petition filing.

Then, certain subscribers (creditors) get immediate notification that you filed.

Any creditor as sophisticated as Countrywide (Bank of America), Chase, Citi, and the like, will know within 48 hours of filing. Many of them will take some sort of negative action as well, to shut down credit lines.
                          I was gonna say, Country Wide went under or so I thought to B of A last August. I lost my home sale because of this as a senior lender with Country Wide was buying my home and land and on 19 August B of A informed him he was one of many that would not have a job anymore!
                          Just another victim of the real estate industry today.

Comment

I still pay online @ countrywide.com...

Can BofA do anything to me if I'm keeping my house due to me bking them for over $35K? They can't cross collateralize on me can they??

This gets better and better.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X