Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beeheery View Post
    hi everyone,
    i have had someone offer to give me money (no need to pay them back) to settle my debts vs filing bk. i know that filing bk is considered a last resort and stays on our credit for 10 years, but does settling make it any better at all? if there is going to be just as much of a stain on my report as there would be with bk, i am going to decline. i know if i dont file, i wont ever have to mark on a job or rent application "yes" to filing before but if i settle and my score is so crappy, does it even matter? im at the point right now where unless there is a significant difference between settling or filing, im just going to file. any help would be appreciated.

The difference between settlement and a BK is a 1099-C. You will get a 1099-C for any debt that you have settled and you will owe taxes on the forgiven part of the debt. If you are talking about a small amount of debt, then certainly consider a 1099-C. But if your debt is considerable (I believe HHM posted a 'guideline' in another thread of somthing like 40% or more of gross income for your unsecured debt) then do a BK. You do not owe taxes on debt that has been discharged in BK.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

what happens if you simply do not have six months of your statements pt can't get access to them. My bank only allows you to look at two months

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X