Worried and Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried and Curious

Hi... I am new to the forum, and have already spoken with my attorney to file chapter 7. I just need to get my taxes done(he wanted that number), and sign my paper work.

I have been reading a lot on here the past couple of months. To be honest, i am scared to death of filing, but i am also scared of not. Sounds like filing has worked out for a lot of people, and that is great and inspiring.
    I have a baby on the way, and a really great job....my wife took a huge loss on income a year and a half ago.... which would be why my credit cards are not getting paid (30,000 - unpaid). Basically if i lose my job...we are screwed! which is why i am filing, i cannot have my wages garnished (will be fired, at least i think). I have a great relationship with my boss and get great reviews. But, I keep hearing that you can't get fired for filing...but, you can get fired for something else if they wanted too, especially at an "at will" state.
    My question is.... has anyone on here lost there job from filing, or from something else that filing is really the cause? i keep hearing promising stories, which calms me down....but, i am curious what the chances are.

....I guess in these times it is not surprising for someone to be having financial troubles.

Welcome to the forum! As I'm sure you've read, there are laws against taking negative action against someone for filing BK, employment wise. this is true in most sectors. But, like you've said, there's ways around that. If they want to fire/not hire you, they just give you another reason, or at least a vague run-around. It might help if you tell us what sort of company you work for. Is it a bank, or the government, or are you in the military?
    Chapter 7 Filed: 12/22/08
    341 Meeting: 1/22/09
    Discharged and Closed: 3/24/09

Comment

i am in the security field.
      What gets me is.... I used to work for the gov. and had a clearance... other employees with a drug or drinking problem would be forced to get help, and allowed to return to work.
      But, I am having trouble with money.... and i can't sleep at night.

I am probably over reacting with my fears.... i do worry to much

Comment

Well money shouldn't come before your mental and emotional health, especially when you have a baby on the way. If you're at that point, which it sounds like you are, filing BK is def. worth exploring. If you get along so great with your boss, what I would do is speak with him in confidence. Let him know how bad your situation has gotten, and that you're considering BK, and ask if he thinks your company's HR department/ owner/ whoever makes hiring/firing decisions would have a huge issue with it.

Did they do a credit check on you when you were hired? Because if not, it seems to me that if they didn't care then, they won't care now.

Comment

I told my direct boss in confidence what was going on with me, and I hate the witch, lol. I only told her because I needed to cut back on overtime for a few weeks to play it safe with passing the means test, and if I hadn't given her an explanation as to why, it would've reflected even more negatively on me.

Comment

Yes.... They did two credit checks. They told us that they do them every few years too....
            A coworker and I were joking around and he told me that was bull.... Not, sure if he was serious though

Comment

Do you work for a security company? Like, are you contracted by them yet stationed at, say, a port, where Homeland Security is involved? It's really hard to say without knowing your company's policies and specifics. I would talk to someone at that company who WOULD know, and who you trust to keep quiet until a final decision has been reached.

Comment

i appreciate the advise..... like i said, i am probably over worrying. I like to know what is going to happen before it does. I think baby, is making me worry more too.
                my lawyer, says nobody should be really surprised that anyone is having financial hard-ship right now.
                I was just curious if anybody has heard of anyone having an issue at work or has had themselves. I have actual not seen anything about someone loseing theer job because of BK. I found that fascinating

Comment

I can't say much about the job....

Comment

My decision has already been reached....I am filing. I am a chapter 7...just have to sign off. I just worry about my job....My credit is shot.... and savings is gone. I can't afford and haven't been able to pay these credit cards for over a year now.

I just have fears of providing for the people i care about

Comment

I understand that. But it sounds like there's some top-secret government clearance or at least government-associated work relationship going on here, lol. If that's the case I think you are right to be a bit worried. But rather than worry, find out for sure if it'll cause an issue. If you've been there for a long time and shown trustworthiness, they may be willing to work around it and "bend" some policies for you.

Comment

It's not gov .... but, close to it.
                        But, I here you can actually keep your clearance after you file.

Comment

We all share those fears with you. Providing for our loved ones and ourselves is so important, and for me, filing BK was strictly a business decison. I was able to make my minimum payments on everything, I just wasn't able to save any money for emergencies or for buying a house or for my stepdaughter's and/or future bio child's college education. Not to mention I'm 22k in the hole to Sallie Mae for my own education, and I want to pay about 3x as much as I've been paying to them monthly so that I'm not still facing that debt when I'm in my 40s. I figured it was time to cut my losses and start living seriously and frugally, in order to improve my future. So many people on here had something horrible happen, like a job loss, a divorce, or a major illness. I've had none of that, and for that I'm fortunate.

You have a baby coming, and you need to put your family first. If BK makes sense for you and your family, go for it, even if it means risking your job. I know it sounds cliche, especially in this economy and with the current unemployment situation, but you'll find another job. If your current job will cut you loose due to a smart decision you make on behalf of your family, you probably shouldn't want to continue working there, anyway.

Comment

I like what my lawyer told me the other day (he is quick to the point, with no humor).... He says, "if they are gonna fire you, they will find a reason, no matter what. Just do your job. Do you think you are the only one at this huge company that can't pay your bills?"
                            Funny but true.... even when he isn't trying.
                            I think I just needed to talk about a few fears. I worry.... and don't wanna worry my wife.

Thanks for talking with me, and your last post is right on the money....
                            LOL... I JUST GOTTA THINK MORE POSITIVE

Comment

I bet your employer never even knows and they shouldn't. Good luck and once you file no worries of garnishment.
                              Filed Chapter 7 10-2008
                              341 Meeting 12-2008
                              DISCHARGED 2-2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X