No announcement yet.

Worried and Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have to be notified before garnishment?

Comment

Not sure. I do know it can't just creep up as a surprise tho, b/c first a creditor has to obtain judgment against you, which is a court proceeding for which you will be served papers. The garnishment is just a form of exeuction on that judgment.
      Chapter 7 Filed: 12/22/08
      341 Meeting: 1/22/09
      Discharged and Closed: 3/24/09

Comment

Originally posted by MSH View Post
        Do you have to be notified before garnishment?
        Yes. A creditor must get a judgment against you before they can ask the court for a writ of garnishment. Unfortunately, many creditors use underhanded and borderline legal means of providing proof you have been served the proper notice that you are being sued. Your best protection is to check your State's civil court for any possible complaints filed against you. If your state/county has an online search, that is even better, you can easily check once a week if you are worried one of your creditors will sue. I'm worried about being sued myself and check daily, although that is because I have other issues (OCD)

The collections forum here at BKforum has tons of info about collections and lawsuits. I would check there for further info.

Comment

Last edited by 2Bshinyandnew; 02-11-2009, 05:42 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X