anyone use a paralegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone use a paralegal?

i was just wondering if anyone has used a paralegal to file? I would like to do it pro se but i would not have a clue. I dont even know if you use a paralegal or not but wouldnt they just fill out all the paperwork for you?

Originally posted by deadmonetree View Post
    i was just wondering if anyone has used a paralegal to file? I would like to do it pro se but i would not have a clue. I dont even know if you use a paralegal or not but wouldnt they just fill out all the paperwork for you?
    You could use a paralegal, but they absolutely must disclose their fees and any paper that they draft for you, must be identified as "prepared by non-lawyer".

I used one of the on-line based systems for initially completing my forms. It did get a good portion of the forms done for me. I did have to re-do a couple by hand (fill in PDF), but it was nice just entering the information like you're completing an interview (or a TurboTax type guided interview to capture your information).

Before you ask, I won't recommend the place I used. Didn't like that some of their info was out-dated.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

so then all you have to do is turn it in right? go to your meeting? i am really scared to do it myself but 2500 to file is alot of money!

Comment

Originally posted by deadmonetree View Post
        so then all you have to do is turn it in right? go to your meeting? i am really scared to do it myself but 2500 to file is alot of money!
        It sounds that simple, doesn't it?

First, if you're contemplating filing on your own, a must thing to do is to purchase the NoLo Book!!!

Second, after you learn more about the process, determine if you're an asset case or not. This will make a difference if you're trying to protect assets and the equity in assets. If you own nothing, then you can file pro se quite easily.

If you own things or expect a windfall sooon (house, cars, inheritance coming up, recently won the lottery, getting a payout in an insurance settlement, etc), you REALLY need to see a lawyer.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

i dont believe we would be an asset case we are under the means (according to my math)
          we own a house but do not have equity. have a vehicle that we are hoping to redeem.
          other than that just normal house stuff. we still owe on a 52 in lcd flat screen dont know if sears will want that back everything else in unsecured.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X