Attorney consult question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorney consult question

I recently made an appointment for a free BK consultation. However, when I got there, I met with and only spoke to a paralegal. The paralegal was very nice, seemed very smart and told me that I would probably have no problems with a Chapter 7. He also told me it would be OK for me to move in with my boyfriend.

I actually didn't know he was a paralegal until he gave me his business card at the end of the meeting.

I liked his demeanor, but would meeting with only the paralegal raise a red flag to anybody else? Should I only retain a firm where I have met the attorney?

For me personally it would raise a red flag. One of things I liked about our attorney was that he was a one-man show, meaning we dealt with him and only him.

I would schedule consults with a few more attorney's.
    Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
    341 Meeting - 08/13/08
    DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
    CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

Originally posted by zscfan View Post

I actually didn't know he was a paralegal until he gave me his business card at the end of the meeting.
      Wow...you would think that the paralegal would have to disclose that they were not an attorney RIGHT UP FRONT rather than having a consultation and not telling you until he gave you his card.

Given the facts, I would look for another attorney.
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I too would look for another attorney. If the attorney does not have any time to meet with you when trying to earn your business, think of what they will do for you when you give them your money. I would certainly get some other consultations and see what type of service you are offered. I had three consultations in Los Angeles before choosing my attorney. I even had to fire one...

Comment

Sounds like you went to a very busy law firm if it actually was one and not some sort of filing service. Anyway, paralegals cannot give you legal advice so I would run straight to another consultation with an actual attorney. Paralegals work with and under the direction of an attorney and will pass on advice from the attorney to the client or can handle non-legal advice issues for clients. This one may have been gleaning clients for the firm for possible filings but he should not have given you any advice.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I actually deal a LOT with my attorney's paralegal. She responds to all of my questions within a couple of hours, and as I realize he's really busy, I don't mind.

That being said, my first meeting was directly with my attorney, and when I signed the papers to file, that was also with him. He's the one that also went to the courthouse with me on the day of my 341. Also, if I wanted to speak directly with him, I could, he's a really nice guy and an upstanding member of my community. I just choose to go through his assistant, knowing that it might take a few hours longer to hear back from him than from her.

The fact that the person that is officially representing you wasn't there is a bit odd to me... I would go for a few more consults. I don't think it's bad to have more contact with a paralegal than with the attorney if the paralegal is communicating between the two of you on minor issues.

But to have the MAJOR meetings, like the initial consult, done by the paralegal... that's like getting diagnosed by a nurse instead of a doctor. It's not that you don't TRUST the nurse, it's not that they aren't a great nurse, it's that it's not your doctor. And that's a problem.
            Filed Chapter 7 12/31/08 341 Meeting 2/3/09 No Asset 2/16/09 Discharged 04/08/09 :)

:yahoo: Closed 04/30/09 :yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by zscfan View Post
              I recently made an appointment for a free BK consultation. However, when I got there, I met with and only spoke to a paralegal. The paralegal was very nice, seemed very smart and told me that I would probably have no problems with a Chapter 7. He also told me it would be OK for me to move in with my boyfriend.

I liked his demeanor, but would meeting with only the paralegal raise a red flag to anybody else? Should I only retain a firm where I have met the attorney?
              I would look for another attorney. I'm 2 classes away from my AS in Paralegal studies. One of the first required classes, Intro to Paralegal Studies, pretty much hammered into our heads, a paralegal must identify their status before speaking to a client.

A paralegal should screen potential clients and I can totally see how 90% of a BK interview could be done by a Paralegal, but the attorney should have at least come in, introduced him/herself and looked over the intake form, and given his/her opinion on your case and options.

Comment

Can anyone PM me a good attorney in L.A. (South Bay area would be great, if possible). Thank you !

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X