Is this credit score unusual? 690 after filing, before discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this credit score unusual? 690 after filing, before discharge

I just checked my credit score on myfico, and it is listed as 690.

My bankruptcy is listed, before you ask.

I had avoided looking for so long because I was afraid to know.

Is this normal? Is it an error? Will it drop as soon as my case is closed?

I had assumed it would be 400 or lower. Imagine my suprise lol!
    Filed Chapter 7 12/31/08 341 Meeting 2/3/09 No Asset 2/16/09 Discharged 04/08/09 :)

:yahoo: Closed 04/30/09 :yahoo:

It will update once it is discharged.

Comment

Not every score drops after BK - some even go up.
      Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
      FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
      FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

That's what I assumed too... but all of the threads I can find about it say things like this one: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14438

That my score will go even more up after discharge?

I have no clue what it was before filing.
        Filed Chapter 7 12/31/08 341 Meeting 2/3/09 No Asset 2/16/09 Discharged 04/08/09 :)

Comment

My WAMU credit card has a credit score simulator. It allows me to enter bankruptcy and it lowered my score from 687 to 600. Don't know how accurate their simulator is though.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I will bookmark this thread and report back in a month when I will *hopefully* be discharged. That way when some other sad soul searches for it, they will know more than I did lol

From what I've read in the threads I saw here, it should go up after discharge. However, that may not be the case with me. We shall see.

Comment

Your score doesn't matter when there is a BK filing on your credit reports. You will eventually find that out, unfortunately.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Fortunately, I don't plan on actually using my credit for a long time.

I'm lucky I guess. My bankruptcy is at an ideal time because I'm getting married in 2 months, and my future husband has a good enough career and good enough credit for me to piggyback off of his score for a few years until I can add my name to things without dirtying the pool. I just thought it would be interesting to see how low it was.

Thanks for the hot tip though lol

Comment

Before I stopped paying my CC bills in Dec, my score was in the mid 700's.

First week in Feb, CreditKarma said it was in the mid 600's.

The next day I had an auto dealer check it and they showed 505.

Today, CreditKarma is still showing mid 600's as before. - jb
                  jb - A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes.
                  Filed - 2/27/09
                  341 - 4/3/09
                  Discharged - 6/20/2009

Comment

CreditKarma isn't a true FICO score. Only www.myfico.com gives you your true FICO score. Anywhere else gives you their own version, which is not necessarily what lenders see, as you found out at the car dealer.
                    Filed Ch. 7 (no asset): 12/30/2008
                    341 Meeting: 01/26/2009
                    Last Date for Objections: 03/27/2009
                    Discharged & Closed: 03/30/2009

Comment

Originally posted by nervousss View Post
                      Fortunately, I don't plan on actually using my credit for a long time.

I'm lucky I guess. My bankruptcy is at an ideal time because I'm getting married in 2 months, and my future husband has a good enough career and good enough credit for me to piggyback off of his score for a few years until I can add my name to things without dirtying the pool. I just thought it would be interesting to see how low it was.

Thanks for the hot tip though lol
                      Just to give you an idea, our scores are in 790's 2 years after Chapter 13 discharge. This past November we had a card closed by the creditor (Dress Barn) after that card survived our bankruptcy filing with a zero balance and was used pristinely several times between 2002 and 2008. The reason it was closed? Bankruptcy on the credit reports. At least they were kind enough to tell us to reapply after the BK was off our credit reports in April 2009 - LOL! Couldn't belive that! But just remember your score doesn't mean a thing because most creditors run and hide when they see the BK on your credit reports. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and best of luck to you both!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Oh, you can get credit with a BK on file - especially after the 2 initial years post discharge.

Once you get your discharge and have the attitude "I'll never touch any credit again", THEN nobody will approve you in the long run.

There is no reason NOT to re-establish credit on day 1 once you're done with BK. Get a secured CC and go to your local CU and loan yourself money. No risks BUT better chances to be approved for later loans.

BK on file is NOT the end - as long as you are active (get new credit, clean-up the errors on your report, etc.).
                        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                          My WAMU credit card has a credit score simulator. It allows me to enter bankruptcy and it lowered my score from 687 to 600. Don't know how accurate their simulator is though.
                          In regards to BK, simulators are useless. Nobody knows before you file how your CR is going to look like once you're done. Many creditors even remove the account IIB from your file although they don't have to - now how should the simulator consider this unknown fact?

Trust me, the most important factor after your discharge is YOU. YOU have to take care of any false reporting (balances still being reported, etc.) - if you've done your homework, your score will be higher and that WILL influence your chances of getting a loan in the long run.

Comment

Awesome, that's sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingItOut View Post
                              CreditKarma isn't a true FICO score. Only www.myfico.com gives you your true FICO score. Anywhere else gives you their own version, which is not necessarily what lenders see, as you found out at the car dealer.
                              Work, I went up on the link and is does not say how it works - just 'start the free TRIAL'.

Most things like that have you sign up for something and if you don't cnx, they start charging you. Is that how myfico works? - jb
                              jb - A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes.
                              Filed - 2/27/09
                              341 - 4/3/09
                              Discharged - 6/20/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X